KILCAR, or KILKARAGH, a parish, in the barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Killybegs; containing 4319 inhabitants. St. Carthach, whose festival is kept on the 5th of March, is supposed to have presided over a monastery here so early as 540. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 18,883 statute acres, about one-sixth of which are arable, the remainder bog and mountain land. Agriculture is in a very backward state, and there is not a single tree in the parish. Fairs are held quarterly for cattle, yarn, and flannel. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £125. The church is a small handsome building, erected in 1828. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 840 acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a large new chapel. The parochial school, in which are about 100 children, is endowed with a grant from Col. Robertson's fund; and there are three other schools and a dispensary.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Kilcar.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcar to another place.
The page for Kilcar from Donegal Genealogy Resources
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G6400578987 (Lat/Lon: 54.657729, -8.558467), Kilcar which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Kilcarand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)