KILLAGHTEE, a parish, in the barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (E.) from Killybegs, on the north-west coast; containing, with the village of Dunkanely, 4760 inhabitants.
According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises, with a detached portion, 13,368 statute acres, of which about half is mountain land; there is a great quantity of bog, also of coarse limestone and freestone, used for building. Within the parish is St. John's Point, on which is a lighthouse, in lat. 54° 33' 15", and Ion. 8° 26', with a bright fixed light, 104 feet above the level of the sea at high water, and visible fourteen nautical miles. Inver bay commences at this Point, and extends to Devrin Point, and to the westward of it is Mac Swine's bay. Many of the parishioners are employed in fishing, and on the 12th of Feb., 1814, twenty fishing-boats and forty-three men were lost in a squall.
The principal seats are Brucklees, the residence of Capt.
Nesbit; Upper Brucklees, of A. Cassidy, Esq.; and Spa Mount, of M. Stevens, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £260. The church is a neat building, erected in 1826, at a cost of £1000, granted by the late Board of First Fruits. There is a neat glebe-house, with a glebe of 635 acres, of which 335 are unprofitable land, and which contains a strong sulphureous spa. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Killybegs, for which a large chapel is in course of erection. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Dunkanely.
About 360 children are educated in six public schools, one of which is aided by donations from Primate Robinson's fund; and about 30 children in a private school. See DUNKANELY.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.