The manor is called Cloghy, and the court has jurisdiction over the liberty of Castlebuoy, the parishes of Slanes and Ballytrustin, and part of Witter, and any sum not exceeding £5 is recoverable in it, either by attachment or civil bill process. The lofty tower of the castle and ruins of the church are situated in one of the most secluded and fertile vales in the Ardes, On a chain of rock in the channel, three miles east from the shore, is the South Rock or Kilwarlin light-house.
There is a private school, in which are about 70 boys and 60 girls.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
|New Church, Cloughey Road, Cloughey, Presbyterian|
|Old Church, Cloughey Road, Cloughey, Presbyterian|
|Near to the ruin of the castle, Castleboy, Roman Catholic|
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Castleboy to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference J6235655105 (Lat/Lon: 54.418593, -5.499569), Castleboy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
762356,855105and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)