In 1868, the parish of Maghera contained the following places:
"MAGHERA, a parish in the barony of Upper Iveagh, county Down, province of Ulster, Ireland, 3 miles E.S.E, of Castle-Wellan. Clough is its post town. The parish is 2 miles in length and breadth. The surface lies along the shore of Dundrum Bay. The soil is generally fertile, but sandy. The river Burren traces the western border, and the road from Newry to Ardglass passes through the interior. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Down, value £294, in the patronage of the crown and bishop. The present church was a gift from the late Board of First Fruits in 1825. Here are 2 Sunday and 3 daily schools. Ruins of the ancient church are seen near the present one, likewise part of a round tower, and a pillar tower, besides several Druidical stones."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018