"Freshford", or Aghoura, a post-town and parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 6 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Kilkenny, and 63 (S.W.) from Dublin, on the road from Kilkenny to Johnstown; containing 2277 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Aghoure or Achadhur, signifying the "green ford," was the site of an abbey founded about the commencement of the 7th century, by St. Lactan, who was its first abbot. The parish comprises 2108 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: there is no bog or wasteland. The principal seats are Upperwood, Balleen Castle, Kilrush. The town, which comprises 374 houses, is neat and well-built, and is part of the estate of William De Montmorency, Esq. It is a station of the revenue and of the constbulary police. Here is a dispensary, a fever hospital, and a society for relieving the bedridden poor. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, episcopally united bto the parishes of Clomanto, Kilrush, Clashacrow, Rathbeagh, Tubridbritain, Sheefin, Clontubrid, and Coolcashin, which together form the uion of Freshford and the corps of the prebend of Aghoure (anciently called the Golden Prebend") in the cathedral of Kilkenny. The first six aprishes are in the patronage of the Bishop, and the remaining three in that of the Dean and Chapter. The glebe-house is in Clashacrow. The church was built in 1730, and has a fine Norman porch with the date 1133. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising Freshford, Tullaroan, Ballynamara, Clashacrow, Ballylarkin, and parts of Odogh, Burnchurch and Clomanto, in which district is a chapel at Freshford, one at Odogh, and one at Tullaroan. There is a parochial school, and there is a national school adjoining the R. C. chapel. About 300 children are educated in these schools, and about 60 in two private schools, exclusive of those taught in a Sunday school. Near Kilrush are the ruins of Ballylarkin castle, once the seat of the Shortall family.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: Freshford. RC Parish: Freshford.
Freshford - Earliest Records: b. Jan 1773; m. Aug 1775.
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC parish parish period number Freshford Freshford 1773-1880 0926192 Note: Tullaroan was later split as a separate R. C. Parish, and Freshford extended into parts of former Balyragget R. C. Parish.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Freshford to another place.
Townlands (1851)Parish Townland Acres Diocese Freshford Ballyroe 171 Ossory Freshford Baunaniska 242 Ossory Freshford Bawntanameenagh 110 Ossory Freshford Boherkyle 44 Ossory Freshford Clintstown 232 Ossory Freshford Crowhill 216 Ossory Freshford Curraghduff 77 Ossory Freshford Freshford 97 Ossory Freshford Freshford Lots 66 Ossory Freshford Inchmore 21 Ossory Freshford Knockown 96 Ossory Freshford Moat 140 Ossory Freshford Monabrika 150 Ossory Freshford Tobernapeastia 219 Ossory Freshford Upperwood Demesne 283 Ossory
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S4083864065 (Lat/Lon: 52.72652, -7.396288), Freshford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
640838,664065and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)