In 1868, the parish of Ardcanny contained the following places:
"ARDCANNY, a parish in the barony of Kenry, in the county of Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 8 miles to the W. of Limerick. It is pleasantly situated at the confluence of the river Mague with the Shannon, being bounded on the N. by the latter, and on the E. by the former, of those rivers. The soil is very fertile, resting on limestone. A large part of the land is meadow and pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Limerick, Ardfert, and Aghadoe, value £277, in the patronage of the bishop. There are many gentlemen's seats along the banks of the Mague; among them are Cartown, Mellon, Rockfield, Shannon Grove, which was the seat of the Earls of Charleville, Mount Pleasant, &c. There is an old fortress formed of loose stones at Rockfield."