RATHJORDAN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNster, 5 miles (S.) from Cahirconlish, on the road from Limerick to Hospital; containing 400 inhabitants.
This parish comprises 1063¼ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; some of the land is remarkably good, but, being generally in small holdings, agriculture as a system is altogether unknown, and the land is cultivated in a very slovenly manner; the chief crops are oats and potatoes, but wheat is becoming more general than formerly. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union and corps of the precentorship of Emly: the tithes amount to £70.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Herbertstown and Hospital. Not far from the ruins of the old church is a holy well, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, much frequented by the peasantry, especially on the anniversary of the saint.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rathjordan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R6907843105 (Lat/Lon: 52.538825, -8.45645), Rathjordan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
569078,643105and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)