KILCONDUFF, a parish, in the barony of GALLEN, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with the post-town of Swinford, 5951 inhabitants.
The greater part is in tillage, but there are large tracts of bog and mountain land; flag-stones are abundant; pearls are found in the river Moy, and there are chalybeate and sulphureous springs. The principal seats are Brabazon Park, the residence of Sir W.
Brabazon, Bart.; Swinford, of J. D. Ellard, Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Dean of Killala; Fahyness, of I. P.
O'Donnell, Esq.; and Midfield House, of P. Kelly, Esq.
The parish is in the diocese of Achonry; the rectory is impropriate in W. S. Bourke, Esq., and the vicarage was united episcopally, in 1805, to those of Kilbeagh and Meelick, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £366. 1. 6., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar; and of the entire union, to £403.15. 10½. The church is a plain building, erected in 1810, for which the late Board of First Fruits gave £600, and recently repaired by a grant of £209 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house has a glebe of 22 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also Meelick, and containing a chapel in each. About 420 children are educated in seven private schools. Some of the ruins of Kilconduff and Kinaff churches still exist.- See SWINFORD.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilconduff to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference M3864896808 (Lat/Lon: 53.917123, -8.934461), Kilconduff which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
538648,796808and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)