MAGAUNAGH, or MOYGAWNA, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (S, W.) from Killala, on the road from Crossmolina to Ballycastle; containing 1981 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the river Awenmore, and comprises 4100 statute acres; the land is light, chiefly under tillage, with some pasture, and great quantities of bog and mountain; limestone abounds.
The principal seats are Belleville, the residence of Capt.
W. Orme; Glenmore, of W. Orme, Esq.; and Stonehall, of T. Knox, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, forming part of the union of Crossmolina; the rectory is partly appropriate to the precentorship of Killala, and partly to the vicars choral of Christ- Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £110, of which £35. 10. is payable to the vicars choral, £19. 10. to the precentor, and £55 to the vicar. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is small and in bad repair. About 70 children are educated in a public and about 10 in a private school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.