Wheery or Killagally
WHERRY, a parish, in the barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with part of the post-town of Farbane, 3555 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Brosna, comprises 16,732 statute acres, of which 80 are woodland and more than 7000 are bog; the remainder is divided in nearly equal portions between pasture and tillage. The arable land is of very good quality and favourable to the growth, of corn; but the pasture, except the lowlands near the river, is indifferent, and the meadow land poor. The system of agriculture is slowly improving; there is abundance of limestone, which is quarried for agricultural purposes and for building. The principal seats are Ballylen, the residence of the Rev. H. King, situated in a fine demesne; Killygally, of the Rev. H. Mahon; and Moyclare, of R. Lawder, Esq. Fairs are held at Farbane on Aug. 2nd and Oct. 20th: the Grand Canal passes within a quarter of a mile of the parish. It is a rectory, vicarage, and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is impropriate in the Rev. J. Armstrong and the Rev. H. King; the vicarage forms part of the union of Tessauran; and the perpetual curacy, which is also called Farbane, is in the patronage of the incumbent.
The tithes amount to £276. 18. 5½., of which one-half is payable to the impropriator and the other to the vicar. The glebe-house, annexed to the curacy, was built in 1818 at an expense of £500, of which £450 was a gift and £50 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £21 per ann.; and the income of the curacy is £99.7.8½, arising from the glebe, a stipend of £55.7.8½. payable by the incumbent, and an augmentation of £14 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church of the perpetual curacy was built in 1804, at an expense of £461 British, of which £327 was raised by parochial assessment and the remainder by subscription; a belfry turret was added to it in 1819 by the same means. In the R. C. divisions the parish is in the diocese of Ardagh, and is the head of a union, called Farbane, comprising also the parish of Tessauran; in each parish is a chapel; that of Farbane is a handsome edifice lately erected. There are five private schools; in which are about 200 children; and a dispensary. There are remains of old castles at Cool and Kilcolgan.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wheery or Killagally to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N1414523202 (Lat/Lon: 53.25925, -7.788779), Wheery or Killagally which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)