CLOGHER, a parish, in the barony of Kilnemanagh, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 6 miles (S. w.) from Thurles; containing, with the parish of Rathkenan, 2062 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the high road from Tipperary to Thurles, and comprises 6997 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4935 per annum. About one-half is good arable and pasture land, and the re mainder, with the exception of a small portion of under wood,, is mostly mountainous, with some bog. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, united at a period unknown to the vicarages of Inshyanly and Dovea, and the rectory and vicarage of Moykarkey, together forming the corps of the chancellorship of Cashel, in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rec tory is impropriate in W. Moore, Esq. The tithes amount to £276. 18. 5½. of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent; and the amount of tithes for the union, payable to the chancellor, is £452. 6. 1¾. There is neither church nor glebe-house; the Protestant parishioners attend the church of Clonoulty; those of Inshyanly, the churches of Thurles and Templemore; and those of Moykarkey, that of Holy Cross. The glebe comprises 27 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the "union or district of Clonoulty. There is a pay school, in which are about 140 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.