Hide

Kilbarron

hide
Hide
KILBARRON, a parish, in the barony of LOWER-ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Burris-o-kane, on the road from Killaloe to Portumna; containing 2590 inhabitants.

It comprises 7575 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is chiefly under tillage; about 150 acres are called the Commons of Kearney. Coarse limestone and a kind of red and white marble are found here, and lead was formerly obtained. Here is a constabulary police station. The principal seats are Annah, the residence of J. Minchin, Esq.; Bellevue, of G. W.

Biggs, Esq.; Mota, of T. Pepper Roberts, Esq.; Gurthmunger, of the Rev. R. Stoney; Annah Castle, of Joseph O. Tabourdeau, Esq.; Kilgarvan, of E. Cambie, Esq.; Waterloo Lodge, of the Rev. R. P. Vaughan; Garrane, of W. Legge, Esq.; and Castletown, of C.

Cambie, Esq., a handsome castellated building on an eminence near the Shannon, commanding beautiful views of Lough Derg and the mountain scenery of Clare and Galway. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Capt. Ralph Smith. The tithes amount to £360, of which £240 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a neat building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £1000 in 1822. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of about 8 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Terryglass and Finoe, and containing two chapels. About 40 children are educated in a public school, and about 150 in three private schools.

Here are the ruins of an ancient church, also of four castles, called Cushlawn-Thullahawn, Cushlawn-Thigge- Burht, Annah, and Ballycollaton. Island More, in Lough Derg, containing about 130 Irish acres, belongs to this parish, but is considered to be in the county of Galway.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Kilbarron which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8275393542 (Lat/Lon: 52.992653, -8.25757), Kilbarron which are provided by: