BALLYMORE, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2¼ miles (W.) from Broadway; containing 522 inhabitants.
This parish is situated near Lough Ta, and comprises 2520 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and forms part of the union of Kilscoran, also called Tacumshane, which constitutes the corps of the chancellorship in the cathedral of Ferns: the tithes amount to £203.17.11½., payable to the chancellor. In 1832 the parishes of Ballymore and Tacumshane were formed into an ecclesiastical district under the name of Churchtown, and a perpetual curacy was instituted. The new church is situated in the parish of Tacumshane, but close to the border of this parish, and was built by aid of a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions it is in the union or district of Maglass; a chapel has been lately erected. There is a school at Moonfield Cross.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballymore to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0582109014 (Lat/Lon: 52.223197, -6.4522), Ballymore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
705821,609014and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)