The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of New Ross contained the following places:
"NEW ROSS, a parish, post, and market town in the baronies of Shelburne and Bantry, county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 19½ miles N.W. of Wexford. It is situated on the side of a hill declining towards the river Barrow, which is here crossed by a bridge going over to Rossbercon, in the adjoining county of Kilkenny. It contains cavalry barracks, a police station, corn, fish, and meat market, and several large breweries. A considerable business is done in the general trade, and malt liquor is extensively exported. The port is subordinate to that of Wateford. The river Barrow is navigable at thigh tide for good-sized vessels. The charities comprise a lying-in and a fever hospital, a dispensary, and a poorhouse. There are two branch banks in the town, and seven life and fire assurance agencies. The town is governed by commissioners, who meet once a month. There is a court-house, with bridewell attached, in which quarter sessions are held, and petty sessions once a fortnight. Ross was first chartered in the time of Edward I., and its charter confirmed at various subsequent periods. It returned two members of parliament before the Union, but now returns only one. The constituency in 1859 was 195. The population in 1861 was 7,115. The streets are lighted with gas, and newsrooms have been established. It is the head of a Poor-law Union, and has a custom house, and port and harbour commission. Ross seems to have originated in a monastery founded by St. Abban, and was called Rossglass and Rossmactrevin. Another authority attributes its foundation to Isabella, daughter of Strongbow. It was protected by a wall in 1269. The place was partly destroyed by the Kavanaghs in 1469, and at different subsequent periods the town suffered from repeated aggressions. The Duke of Ormonde besieged the town in 1641, but was repulsed. It was afterwards taken and dismantled by Cromwell. The town was the scene of a collision between the royalists and insurgents in 1798, when the latter were routed after a long and sanguinary fight. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ferns, value £500, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was erected on the site of the old one in 1813 by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. There are two Roman Catholic chapels and two nunneries, a chapel-of-ease, and Methodist and Friends' meeting-houses. There are good schools, among them the grammar school founded by Sir John Ivory, and the school of the Friends of Education. Oaklands, Talbot Hall, and Macmurragh are among the seats. Ruins of the old church are remaining, as also those of Mountgarret Castle, formerly belonging to the Butler family. Wednesdays and Saturdays are market days. Fairs are held on 10th January, 10th February, 17th March, Easter Monday, 3rd May, Whit-Monday, 10th July, 10th August, 10th September, 18th October, 10th November, and 8th December.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018