Kinellar / Kinnellar
"KINNELLAR, a parish, in the district of Aberdeen and county of Aberdeen, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Kintore; containing 483 inhabitants. The remains of antiquity still visible show the Druids and the Danes to have been each connected with this parish. . . Almost the whole of the parish is arable, there being but a few acres occupied by wood, and only a small district of rocky moor. Oats, barley, and turnips are the crops chiefly raised, the last of which are much promoted in growth by the prevailing use of bone-dust manure. . A superior turnpike-road, from Aberdeen to Inverury, intersects the parish, and is traversed by the mail and three coaches every day to and from Aberdeen. The parish roads, however, are in bad repair, with the exception of one connected with a farm; and part of the road most used, leading to the church, is said to have been neglected for the last thirty years. The canal between Aberdeen and Inverury, constructed in 1797, passes through the parish at its northern extremity. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is within the bounds of the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen; patron, the Earl of Kintore. The stipend of the minister is £160, of which £62 are received from the exchequer; there is a manse, built in 1778, and the glebe consists of five acres of land, valued at £13. 15. per annum: the minister also has an allowance of £20 as grass-money, and a like sum as moss-money. Kinnellar church, a small building of plain style, erected in 1801, is in good repair, and contains 250 sittings: it stands on the north side of the Don, about a mile from the river. In the seventeenth century. Archbishop Sharp gave the patronage to the dean of the university of St. Andrew's, reserving to himself and his successors a veto upon any appointment; and the university held this privilege till 1761. There is a parochial school, where the usual branches of education are taught, with Latin and geometry if required. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Presbytery of Aberdeen - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kinellar / Kinnellar to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kinellar / Kinnellar has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ813123 (Lat/Lon: 57.201522, -2.310704), Kinellar / Kinnellar which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.