Hide

Pigot 1837

hide
Hide
Hide

Ballantrae
1837 - Ayrshire Directory by Pigot and Co

Hide

A small sea-port village, in the parish of its name, is 105 miles sw from Edinburgh, 68 sw from Glasgow, 34 s of Ayr, 24 nne of Portpatrick, 18 n of Stranraer, 13 s by w of Girvan, and 25 ssw of Maybole, situate near the south western extremity of the county, and on the banks of the river Stinchar, which here falls into the Firth of Clyde. It is principally supported by its fishing of salmon and cod-fish, and by the manufacture of coarse linen and plaids, in the weaving of which about 50 looms are employed; the salmon fishing belongs to the Earl of Stair.

The approach to the town from Stranraer is over the river across which is an excellent stone bridge of three well proportioned arches. On the right, near the bridge, stand the ruins of Ald-Stinchar castle, which formerly belonged to the Hamilton family, and was inhabited by them about 160 years ago; the ancient clock, belonging to the tower now standing, is still used as time keeper for the town.

Old Kirkcudbright Kirk, now in ruins, gives a mournful yet pleasing effect to the surrounding scenery. The present kirk is a neat modern building, ornamented with stone, in the plain Gothic style. There are several schools in the parish, including Sunday, parochial and private schools. In addition to his salary, the master of the parochial school enjoys the interest of £100 bequeathed for the education of poor children of the parish. There are no resident magistrates; and the nearest court is held at Girvan, where small debts are recoverable only by summons.

Ballantrae is without either fairs or weekly market, but there is an annual cattle show in the month of June.

POST OFFICE

John Millar, Post master. Letters from Portpatrick and Glasgow arrive every day at half past one, and are despatched to the south at the same hour - Letters to the north are despatched every evening at six.

GENTRY AND CLERGY

Anderson, Rev Robert DD Glendrissale

Donaldson, John Esq of Auchairne

Kennedy, Captain Hew Ferguson of Bennan

McIlraith, James Jnr Esq (magistrate) of Auchenflower

Melroy, Rev John Manse

INNKEEPERS AND VINTERS

 

Dickie, WilliamDonnan, Peter
Eglesham, JamesFerguson, John
McCredie, James 

SHOPKEEPERS AND TRADERS

Aitken, Mary shopkeeperBrown, Crawford tailor
Clark, William blacksmithCumming, William boat builder
Donovan, Peter shoe makerEglesham, James shoe maker
Ferguson, William tailorHunter, Ann shopkeeper
McCredie, James shopkeeperMcKissock, Andrew mason
McKissock, James masonMcKissock, William mason
McLeod, John shopkeeperMcWhirter, James tailor
McWhirter, Robert joiner & cartwrightMillar, John master of parochial school
Millar, John jnr shoe makerMilroy, Janet dress maker
Scott, James shoe makerScott, Jane dress maker
Scott, John shoe makerScott, William mason
Sherar, John blacksmith South LugganSmall, William cooper
Stewart, John surgeonTait, John blacksmith
Wright, Andrew shopkeeper 

CONVEYANCE BY WATER

Steam Packets To and from Glasgow and Stranraer, the "Loch Ryan" and the "Nimrod" call occasionally.

This transcript was kindly provided by Keith Muirhead from Queensland.