Swinton and Simprim, Church of Scotland
Church of Scotland,
The remains of Simprim Church The earliest known church on this site was built in the 12th century. The church was burnt in 1482 and subsequently repaired, but fell into decline when Simprim Parish was united with Swinton in 1761. Thomas Boston was the minister here between 1699 and 1701.
The church was dedicated in 1247 and it, and its income, became the property of Kelso Abbey. In July 1482 the church was burnt by the order of the future king, Richard III. It was repaired but its fortunes declined although a new church steeple and bell were added in 1756. However in 1761 the parish combined with Swinton, the bell was removed to Swinton House and the church closed.
Squared sandstone rubble; rubble dressings. E gable virtually intact with chamfered surround to blocked, round-arched opening centred in outer elevation; plaque centred in inner elevation. Remains of wall to N; little to S or W.
See the separate entry for Swinton Church.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)