"CLOSEBURN, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland. It is bounded on the N. by Lanarkshire, and extends southward 10 miles, between the rivers Nith and Ae, with an extreme breadth of 8 miles. The land near the Nith is fertile, but a large portion of the surface is moorland. Amongst the most remarkable natural features is the waterfall called the Grey Mare's Tail, some 90 feet in height with Crichup Linn, lower down the same hill-side. Lime has been extensively burnt here since 1772. Closeburn Castle a very ancient fortified tower, formerly belonging to the Kirkpatricks, is still inhabited. Closeburn Hall, a splendid Grecian building, is the most remarkable edifice in the parish. The village of Closeburn stands 3 miles S.E. of Thornhill. This parish is in the presbytery of Penpont, and in the patronage of Baird of Closeburn. The minister has a stipend of £235. Wallacehall School, founded in 1723 by a Glasgow merchant, is free to the children of parishioners. There are also private schools and a Free church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Closeburn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Closeburn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Closeburn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NX931940 (Lat/Lon: 55.228561, -3.681691), Closeburn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)