"TINWALD, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It contains the villages of Amisfield, Kirkland, and Townland, and part of the ancient parish of Trailflat. It extends in length about 5½ miles from S. to N., with an extreme breadth of 4½- miles, and is bounded by Kirkmahoe, Kirkmichael, Lochmaben, Torthorwald, and Dumfries. The surface is moderately flat, and was formerly wooded. Its northern part is watered by the river Ae. The prevailing rocks are greywacke and greywacke-slate. On Barshall Hill is a British fort. The parish is traversed by the road from Dumfries to Moffat. The village, which is about 4 miles N. of Dumfries, is situated on the Ae and Lochar Waters, and on the old Roman way to Brunswark. Paterson, the projector of the banks of England and Scotland, and of the Darien expedition, was bola at Skipmire Farm in 1660. This parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. The stipend of the minister is about £250. The parish church was erected in 1763. There are two parochial schools. The principal seats are Tinwald House, Amisfield, and Glenae."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Tinwald from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tinwald to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tinwald has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY024832 (Lat/Lon: 55.133823, -3.532293), Tinwald which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)