"DIRLETON, a parish, containing the post-office villages of Dirleton, Gulane and Kingston, also the village of Fenton, on the coast of Haddingtonshire. It is bounded on the west and on the north by the frith of Forth, and on the other sides by the parishes of North Berwick, Athelstaneford, and Aberlady. Its greatest breadth is 4 1/2 miles. Peffer burn, flowing to the head of Aberlady bay, traces the southern boundary. Along the coast, and within a short distance of the shore, are three little rocky islets, viz. Fiddrie or Fetteray, Eyebrocky, and the Lamb. The coast presents a broad strip of flat sandy-holms or links, edged on the landward side by richly-cultivated fields, and seaward by a fine sandy beach ... Population in 1831, 1,384; in 1861, 1,540." [From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.