"The general aspect of the parish is hilly and uneven; but along the banks of the stream which flows through the middle of the parish, there is a very considerable portion of excellent holm and meadow land. The hills do not rise to any considerable height, and abound with rouse and black game.....
The river is an excellent trouting stream, and in the deep water at the lower end of the parish there is a quantity of large pike and perch....
The southern division of the parish abounds with granite, and some of the rocks are of stupendous size. The parish supplies the surrounding districts with pillars for gates and steps for stairs, which, when finely polished, have a beautiful appearance, and are very durable....
Rev. John Crocket, Minister, February 1844, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
History, Kirkcudbright. The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 2nd Series, W Blackwood, 1845.
P.H. M'Kerlie, History of the Lands and Their Owners in Galloway, vol. 4 (Edinburgh: William Patterson, 1878) Refer to the county page for additional details.
The Church Yard of Kirkgunzeon has had pre-1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. Kirkgunzeon is in volume 4. Refer to the county page for additional details.
"The church is situated in the centre of the parish, and is most conveniently placed....
There are only four families of Dissenters in the parish: they attend the Secession meeting-house in the neighboring parish of Urr . All the other families are regular attendants of the parish church. The average number of communicants is 180."
Rev. John Crocket, Minister, February 1845, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.
|Church of Scotland||1702-1854||1812-1854||none||OPR 872|
Kirk Session Notes: The Kirk Session records for the parish start in 1705. (CH2 474) A register of marriages from 1703 to 1714 and 1 baptism in 1726 is also recorded in the minutes. There is also a list of communicants, 1834-1843.
- The transcription of the section for Kirkgunzeon from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkgunzeon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kirkgunzeon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NX870649 (Lat/Lon: 54.965748, -3.766182), Kirkgunzeon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The Farm Horse Tax of 1797 records forty farmers in the parish. There were 112 horses in the parish of which 96 were taxable at a rate of 2s. (two shillings) each. There was a horse for about every five people in the parish.