"A parish on the East border of Edinburghshire, containing, at its northern extremity, the village of Pathhead, on the road from Edinburgh to Lauder, 5 miles East South East of Dalkeith, and 3 7/8 miles North of Tynehead station. Tynehead itself and Fala Dam hamlet (2¾ miles South East of Pathhead) also belong to Crichton, which is bounded North East by Cranston and by Humbie in Haddingtonshire; South East by Fala and Soutra and by Heriot, and West by Borthwick.
A rising-ground at Longfough, commanding a wide and beautiful prospect, is crowned by remains of a fort, supposed to be a Roman camp; but Crichton's chief antiquities are Crichton Castle and Cakemuir Castle, the former a massive ruin, forming the grand feature in the landscape."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland
Monumental inscriptions for Crichton can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.
The parish church has records for births dating back from 1682, for marriages from 1679 and for deaths from1679. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Crichton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Crichton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Crichton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT409606 (Lat/Lon: 55.834537, -2.945888), Crichton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Following the Poor Law Act of 1843, the parish joined the Dalkeith Combination to provide poor relief in the Dalkeith Poorhouse.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of Mid Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.