"KIRKLISTON, (or K'liston), a parish partly in county Edinburgh and partly in county Linlithgow, Scotland, 9 miles W. of Edinburgh. It is intersected by the Falkirk and Edinburgh turnpike road, and by the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway, which latter has a station at Winchburgh, and a viaduct of thirty arches across the river Almond, in this parish. It comprehends a village of its own name and the villages of Newbridge, Niddry, and Ninchburgh. Its length is 5½ miles, and its greatest breadth 4½. The surface is varied by rising grounds."
The transcription of the section for Kirkliston from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkliston to another place.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.