"St Cuthberts or West Church Parish - It is not perfectly easy to draw a precise line between the suburbs and the country, and therefore it is necessary to mention that the inhabitants of Lauriston, Tollcross, Castlebarns, Fountainbridge, West Church Charity Workhouse, Water of Leith, Stockbridge, Silvermills, Canonmills, Broughton and Leith Walk are included in the numbers stated for the suburbs."
(From the Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799 Vol II)
The parish church has records for births dating from 1573, for marriages from 1744 and for deaths from 1740. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Edinburgh Room, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for St Cuthbert from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Page Created by Margaret A. Mitchell
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Cuthberts to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Cuthberts has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT244737 (Lat/Lon: 55.950167, -3.212321), St Cuthberts which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)