"HOWWOOD or HOLLOW-WOOD, village, 3½ miles west-south-west of Johnstone, Renfrewshire. It has a post office under Paisley, a railway station, a chapel-of-ease, and a public school with about 106 scholars. Pop. 333."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Howwood is thought to have been originally named Hollow in the Woods but evolved over time to its current name, Howwood. For more historical information on Howwood, please see the village's home page.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Howwood to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Howwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS398604 (Lat/Lon: 55.810519, -4.558575), Howwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)