"NEILSTON, town and parish in upper ward of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also Crofthead, West Arthurlee, Newton Ralston, Gateside, and Uplawmoor villages, Cross Arthurlee and Grahamston suburbs, and most of Barrhead town. Its length is nearly 7 miles; its greatest breadth 4¾ miles; its area 12,481 acres. ..... The land, in the north-east, is flat; through most of the centre, is valley; in the west, is part of the Fereneze Hills; in the south-east, includes the fine hill-ridges of Neilston-Park and Corkindale-Law, commanding magnificent views. Several lakes and reservoirs are in the south; and springs of purest water, one of them discharging 42 gallons per minute, are numerous. Chief seats are Arthurlee and Crofthead; chief spots of antiquarian interest are the sites of old castles and two religious houses; and prominent objects are numerous printfields, bleachfields and cotton factories. Five places of worship are in Barrhead. Seven schools for 1338 scholars are in the parish, and 2 of them for 655 are new. Neilston-Pad is 854 feet high."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]