"NEILSTON, town and parish in upper ward of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also Crofthead, West Arthurlee, Newton Ralston, Gateside, and Uplawmoor villages, Cross Arthurlee and Grahamston suburbs, and most of Barrhead town. Its length is nearly 7 miles; its greatest breadth 4¾ miles; its area 12,481 acres. ..... The land, in the north-east, is flat; through most of the centre, is valley; in the west, is part of the Fereneze Hills; in the south-east, includes the fine hill-ridges of Neilston-Park and Corkindale-Law, commanding magnificent views. Several lakes and reservoirs are in the south; and springs of purest water, one of them discharging 42 gallons per minute, are numerous. Chief seats are Arthurlee and Crofthead; chief spots of antiquarian interest are the sites of old castles and two religious houses; and prominent objects are numerous printfields, bleachfields and cotton factories. Five places of worship are in Barrhead. Seven schools for 1338 scholars are in the parish, and 2 of them for 655 are new. Neilston-Pad is 854 feet high."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Neilston parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1688-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1737-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ 1744-1816 and 1822-1851
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Neilston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Neilston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS463558 (Lat/Lon: 55.771436, -4.452225), Neilston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)