"PAISLEY, town and parishes in upper ward of Renfrewshire. ..... The parishes are Abbey, High, Low and Middle. The Abbey parish includes part of the town, but extends far beyond it, and has been separately noticed. The other three parishes lie wholly in the town and comprise respectively 259, 94, and 517 acres. Pop. 17,914, and 7095, and 13,117."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]