"POLLOCKSHAWS, town on the White Cart, 2½ miles south-south-west of Glasgow. It stands in Eastwood parish, which had for ministers the ecclesiastical historians Crawford and Woodrow; consists of irregularly-arranged streets, but presents a pleasant appearance; is a prosperous seat of manufacture; and has a post office with money order and telegraph departments, under Glasgow, a railway station, 2 banking offices, a town hall, 2 Established churches, 2 Free churches, United Presbyterian, Original Secession, and Roman Catholic churches, an academy so enlarged in 1879 as to have capacity for about 550 scholars, the Sir John Maxwell school, with about the same capacity as the academy, and a handsome monument to the historian Woodrow. Pop. 9363. Part of this town forms a quoad sacra parish. Pop. 6402."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]