Sandsting and Aithsting
"AITHSTING, a parish united with Sandsting, in Mainland, the principal of the Shetland-Isles, 15 miles to the N.W. of Lerwick. The islands of Little Papa and Vementry are included in this parish It is hilly and adapted only for pasture land. Fishing and a mall coasting trade form the occupations of the inhabitants. The living is in the presbytery of Lerwick, value £158, in the patronage of the Earl of Zetland. The united parishes contain an area of about 15 square miles."
From The National Gazetteer of of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"SANDSTING and AITHSTING, a united parish in the middle of the mainland of Shetland, 13 miles and upwards NW of Lerwick, under which there are post offices at Tresta and Garderhouse. It comprises the islands of Vementry and Papa Little, with a number of smaller islets, and is bounded NE by Delting, E by Tingwall, W by Walls, and on all other sides by the sea.
Its utmost length, from N to S, is 13¼ miles; its utmost breadth, from E to W, is 8½ miles; and its land area is 62¼ square miles, or 39, 870 acres. The coast, which in places is bold and rocky, is deeply indented by Gruting, Skeld, Seli, and Sandsound Voes on the S, and by West Burra Firth, Brindister Voe, and Aith Voe on the N. The surface is everywhere hillocky, and, at no point reaching any noticeable elevation or admitting any considerable extent of plain, attains 297 feet in Vementry, 348 at the Ward of Scollan, 457 near the eastern border, 436 at Sand Field, 355 at the Giant's Grave, and 393 at the Ward of Culswick. A perfect network of fresh-waterlochs is scattered over the interior, their number being estimated at no fewer than 140 in the New Statistical Account. Among the larger are Clousta, Vaara, Hulma, Gossa, Sulma, and Vaxterby Lochs, the last of which lies on the Walls boundary. The rocks include red granite in the W, quartzose gneiss, quartzite, hornblende slate, felspar porphyry, syenitic greenstone, etc. The soil, in a few places sandy, in some clay, and in others a light brown mould, is mostly a deep black moss. The arable land lies mostly along the shore. Antiquities are several standing-stones and sepulchral barrows, three or four Scandinavian brochs, and five pre - Reformation burying-grounds. Reawick is the chief mansion; and 6 proprietors hold each an annual value of between £100 and £500. Sandsting is in the presbytery of Olnafirth and the synod of Shetland; the living is worth £185. The parish church, built in 1780, contains 437 sittings. There are also Baptist and Congregational chapels; and 7 new public schools, with total accommodation for 442 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 284, and grants amounting to £290, 8s. Valuation (1860) £1617, (1884) £2678, 5s. 3d. Pop. (1801) 1493, (1831) 2194, (1861) 2670, (1871) 2806, (1881) 2702, of whom 1640 were females."
Description from Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882-4.
- The transcription of the section for Aithsting from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sandsting and Aithsting to another place.
PAPA-LITTLE, an island, in the parish of Sandsting-and-Aithsting, county of Shetland; containing 11 inhabitants. It lies in St. Magnus' bay, near the island of Vementry, and is a small place, having two families, and appropriated to the pasturage of cattle and sheep.
VALEY, an isle, in the parish of Sandsting-and-Aithsting, county of Shetland. This is a very small isle, belonging to the Sandsting portion of the united parish, lying southward of it, and giving name to a sound, wherein is safe anchorage for fishing-vessels.
VEMENTRY, an island, in the parish of Sandsting-and-Aithsting, county of Shetland; containing 2 inhabitants. It lies in the bay of St. Magnus, on the south-east side, close to the Mainland coast, from which it is separated by the narrow sound of Eye. la some parts, particularly on the east, it produces good pasture, upon which cattle and sheep are fed.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sandsting and Aithsting has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference HU317509 (Lat/Lon: 60.241137, -1.429188), Sandsting and Aithsting which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)