Llandyfrydog - on wicipedia (Welsh)
You can see pictures of Llandyfrydog which are provided by:
LLANDYVRYDOG (LLAN-DYVRYDOG), a parish in the 'hundred of TWRCELYN, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (N. E.) from Llanerchymedd, containing 853 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, and comprises about two thousand acres of level and well-cultivated land, is situated near the road from Beaumaris to Llanerchymedd. The soil is generally argillaceous, and the parish is watered by numerous rivulets, by some of which a few acres are occasionally inundated. Peat earth is found in the marshy land upon the banks of a rivulet descending from the Parys mountain ; and from this earth, after burning it for that purpose, a considerable quantity of copper-ore is obtained. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Llanvihangel Tre 'r Beirdd annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 14. 9.7., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Tyvrydog, great-grandson of Cunedda Wledig, by whom it was originally founded, about the year 450, is a spacious, lofty, and venerable structure, in excellent repair, having a remarkably large chancel : it is sixty feet in length, and twenty-five in breadth. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists : to the former of these is attached a burial-ground. A National school, in which fifty poor children of this parish and of the adjoining one of Llanvihangel Tre 'r Beirdd receive gratuitous instruction, was erected in 1816, and is supported by subscription. Dr. Wynne bequeathed a house in the borough of Carnarvon, which is at present let for £ 12 per annum, £6 of which, together with the produce arising from several small charitable donations and bequests, is annually distributed among the poor of the parish at Christmas, according to the intention of the several benefactors. About a mile from the village is a large upright stone, called Lleidr Dyvrydog, or the "Thief of Dyvrydog," the origin of which is by tradition attributed to the conversion into stone of a man who had stolen the church bible, and was carrying it away on his shoulder. Near this stone, on a farm called Clorach, are two copious springs, called Fynnon Cybi and Fynnon Seiriol, deriving their names respectively from St. Cybi, patron of Caer Cybi, or Holyhead, and St., Seiriol, patron of Ynys Seiriol, or the 'island of Priestholme, who were in the habit of meeting at this place, which was about half-way between their respective abodes, to consult about the religious affairs of this part of. the principality : the fame of these springs anciently extended to distant places, and they are still held in high estimation. The average annual expenditure for the support of the Door is £242. 16. ( A Topographical Dicionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llandyfrydog to another place.
Click here for a list of nearby places.
You can see the
administrative areas in which Llandyfrydog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Parishes)
The parish of Llandyfrydog and Llan'l Tre'rbeirdd in the County of Anglesey - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH445851 (Lat/Lon: 53.339697, -4.33711), Llandyfrydog which are provided by: