"LLANFWROG, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 3 miles N.E. of Holyhead, its post town. It is situated at the N. side of Holyhead Bay. The village is small, and is chiefly agricultural. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llanfaethly, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Mwrog. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, also several small charities of about £1 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]




Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanfwrog Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 2017 acres; Population 135 males, 127 females, total 262

  • Llanfwrog Parochial Chapelry Usual number of attendants - morning 8 No informant's signature
  • Salem, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1811 Attendance - morning 107, afternoon 127 scholars, evening 172 Thomas Elias, Member, Plas y Glynn
  • Capel Salem (CM) - on geograph.org.uk and "Llanfwrog Chapel was built in 1811, rebuilt in 1858 and extended in 1901........" coflein

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Llanfwrog which are provided by:



LLANVWROG (LLAN-VWROG), a parish in the hundred of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (N. W.) from Bodedern, containing 266 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the shore of the Irish sea, by which it is bounded on the west and south-west, and contains a considerable tract of enclosed and fertile land. The views from the higher grounds over the adjacent country and the Irish sea are interesting and extensive. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanvaethlu, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Mwrog, is a small ancient edifice in a very dilapidated condition, containing some curious remains of ancient oak carving : over the north entrance is a mutilated inscription, of which only a few of the letters, rudely formed, are remaining. According to tradition, there was anciently a chapel in a field called Monwent Mwrog, on the farm of Cevn Glas, in this parish ; but not a vestige of it is now to be seen. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. The produce of some small charitable donations and bequests is distributed among the poor of the parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 191. 7. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)


Roberts, John, Parch., Llanfwrog, papurau (papers) 1812-1985 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"John Roberts, Llanfwrog (1910-1984), was a Calvinistic Methodist minister and poet. He was born at Ty'r Cae Bach, Llanfwrog ...... "


Land & Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llanfwrog land tax;- 1753-1814: assessments
  • Llanfwrog Parish;- 1754-1992: records
  • Llanfwrog Parish Council;- 1887-1932: minute books, valuation list
  • Llanfwrog tithes;- 1925-30: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Llanfwrog window tax;- 1760: assessments


Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Parishes)

Parish of Llanfwrog, County of Anglesey - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH300845 (Lat/Lon: 53.330357, -4.554563), Llanfwrog which are provided by: