"LLANGEINWEN, a parish in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 1½ mile E. of Newborough, and 3 miles N.W. of Carnarvon, its post town. It is situated on the river Brain, close to the Menai Strait, across which there is a ferry. Here are limestone quarries. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacy of Llangafo annexed, £664. The church is dedicated to St. Ceinwen, and was rebuilt about 1812. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The charities amount to £6 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]



  • A plan of farms in Llangeinwen parish, Anglesey;
  • In Corris, John, Plans and surveys of lands in the counties of Carnarvon and Anglesey 1792. Map 9. 1791
  • Glan Braint. Marwnad i'r diweddar Griffith Owen, Tanyfonwent, Llangeinwen : yr hwn a fu farw Tachwedd 5ed, 1890, yn 30ain mlwydd oed. Caernarfon : Argraphwyd gan W. Gwenlyn Evans, [1890?]
  • Prichard, Hugh. Marwnad ar farwolaeth Owen Jones, Cwurt, Llangeinwen, Sîr Fôn : yr hwn a ymadawodd a'r byd hwn yr 16 o Ragfur, 1813, yn y drugeinfed flwyddyn o'i oed wedi bod yn arddel crefydd 34 Blynedd .. Caernarfon, M. Roberts, [1813?] 6p
  • Prichard, Hugh. Marwnad, ar yr achlysur o farwolaeth ein brawd Thomas Jones, o'r Ty Croes, Llangeinwen, Môn...1820... Caernarfon : Argraffwyd gan Peter Evans, 1820.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llangeinwen Parish; Statistics; Area 5388 acres; Population 493 males, 474 females, total 967

  • Llangeinwen Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor) Repaired and enlarged in 1839 Attendance - morning 60, afternoon 31 (average - morning 120/130, afternoon 40) "The number of persons who attended the Services in the Church on the 30th March 1851 was about one half the usual congregation and this is to be accounted for in this way. Many of the Parishioners are in the habit of attending both the Meeting houses and Church, but on this occasion public notice of the Census was given in the Chapels of the Calvinistic Methodists (who are by far the most numerous body of dissenters in this neighbourhood" W Williams, Rector
  • Elim, Independent Erected 1849 Attendance - morning 65, afternoon 3 + 46 scholars, evening 63 William Evans, Minister, Dwyran
  • Dwyran Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1813 Attendance - morning 250, afternoon 280 scholars, evening 363 William L Ellis, Secretary, Dwyran
  • Bethania (on the boundary of Llangaffo), Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1832 Attendance - morning 192, afternoon 173 scholars, evening 227 John Jones, Minister, Penyfelin
  • Tema, Independent Erected 1815 Attendance - afternoon 12, evening 9 William Evans, Minister, Dwyran
  • St Ceinwen's church, Llangeinwen - on the geograph.org site and "Constructed of limestone rubble with grit dressings and slate roofs. ...." coflein
  • The First World War Roll of Honour at Llangeinwen church - on the geograph.org site
  • Capel Dwyran (CM) - on geograph.org.uk and "Dwyran Methodist Chapel was first built in 1813, rebuilt in 1841 and rebuilt again in 1869....." coflein
  • "Ty'n Goeden Methodist (Ysgoldy Dwyran/CM/Quirt/Brynsiencyn) Sunday School was built prior to 1905.........." coflein SH45686454
  • "Bethania Methodist Chapel [Llangaffo?] was built in 1832, rebuilt in 1851 and then rebuilt again in 1901......." coflein
  • Elim Ind chapel, Llangeinwen "Dwyran Independent Chapel was built in 1849........." coflein
  • "Ysgoldy Tema Independent Chapel was built in 1815......." coflein
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Dwyran section (in Welsh) has been extracted. Translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2016)

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Llangeinwen which are provided by:



LLANGEINWEN (LLAN-GEINWEN), a parish composed of an Upper and a Lower division, in the hundred of MENAI, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Carnarvon, containing 776 inhabitants. This parish, which is of very considerable extent, derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Ceinwen, a female who was distinguished for the sanctity of her life, about the middle of the fifth century. It is pleasantly situated on the western shore of the Menai strait, which is here a mile and a half in breadth, and opposite to the town of Carnarvon, to which there is a ferry from this place, called Tal y Voel. The surface is varied, being in some parts composed of hills of considerable elevation, and the surrounding scenery is finely diversified. The higher grounds afford extensive and interesting views over the Menai strait, the bay of Carnarvon, and the adjacent country. The parish abounds with limestone of excellent quality, of which extensive quarries are worked at Guirt, Gelleniog-wen, Rhydgar, and Penrhyn bach, affording employment to a considerable number of men: the produce of these quarries is partly burnt into manure for the supply of the surrounding districts, and great quantities are exported by the Menai to different places on the coast. The living is a rectory, not in charge, with the perpetual curacy of Llangafo annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, and in the patronage of the Rev. Wynne Williams. The church, dedicated to St. Ceinwen, was originally built about the close of the sixth century, and, having fallen into decay, was rebuilt in the year 1812. The present church is a neat edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, the latter of which is decorated with a handsome east window. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. The amount of several charitable bequests to the poor of this parish in money and land, of which last a certain portion was appropriated to the apprenticing of a poor boy, is annually distributed at Christmas, according to the wishes of the respective donors. At Guirt are the remains of a chapel, for many years used as a stable, and now converted into a dairy. Previously to its application to its present use, the figures of the apostles painted on the Walls were remaining, and over the east window are still preserved allegorical figures of Time and Death. Near the boundary of the parish is a rude upright stone, with the inscription FILIVS. VLRICI. EREXIT, HVNC. LAPIDEM., supposed to be a monument to the memory of some chieftain interred beneath it. In the quarries at Gelleniogwen great numbers of human bones are frequently found, which are supposed to be the remains of native inhabitants who at some period fell at this place in defending their country against the Danes. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £28O. 5. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833 )


Stone head from Llangeinwen - on the People's Collection Wales site


Land & Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llangeinwen land tax;- 1797: land tax assessments
  • Llangeinwen Community Council;- 1796-97: churchwardens accounts
  • Llangeinwen Parish;- 1688-1993: records
  • Llangeinwen tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Llangeinwen windwo tax;- 1751-65: assessments


Parish of Llangeinwen in the County of Anglesey - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH449666 (Lat/Lon: 53.173676, -4.322262), Llangeinwen which are provided by:


Public Records

Llangeinwen Parish Records 1825-1898 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"An account book of the Overseers of the Poor, 1825-1835; a vestry minute book, 1830-1894 and a declaration book containing the declarations of parish councillors on acceptance of office, 1894-1898"