"PENMYNYDD, a parish in the hundred of Tindaethwy, county Anglesey, 4 miles W. of Beaumaris, its post town, and 4 from Llangefni. The village is situated on an eminence at the head of the valley of the Braint. At a farm near Plas-Penmynydd are the remains of the Tydyrs or Twdwrs mansion, where Owen Tudor, the husband of Catherine of France, widow of Henry V. and Queen Dowager of England, was born in 1385. The living is a perpetual Cur.* in the diocese of Bangor, value £86, in the patronage of the prebend thereof. The church, dedicated to St. Credivael, is a structure of the 15th century. The nave chapel contains an alabaster monument to the Tudor family, said to have been removed from Llanvaes Abbey. Her Majesty gave £50 towards the removal of this monument, which was getting mutilated as the parishioners had a practice of breaking off small portions of it for medicinal uses. The parochial charities produce about £69 per annum, of which £63 goes to Roger's almshouses. A fair is held on Easter-Monday." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]




Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Penmynydd Parish; Statistics; Area 3153 acres; Population 291 males, 275 females, total 566

  • Penmynydd Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor) Attendance - usual - morning 120 Services in Welsh Informants; Wm Griffith, Registrar; H Wynn Jones, Curate
  • Gilead Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1833 Attendance - morning (Sunday School) 81 scholars, afternoonn (Sermon) 25 + 105 scholars, evening (Prayer Meeting) 18 + 113 scholars Thomas Owen, Elder, Penheskin, nr Menai Bridge
  • Horeb Chapel, Independent Erected 1828 Attendance - morning 40 scholars, afternoon 100, evening 110 Rice Roberts, Deacon, Rhyd yr Arian, Llanfihenydd
  • Pencarneddi, Bapts Erected 1803 Attendance - morning (Sunday School) 49, afternoon (Sermon) 30, evening (Prayer Meeting) 72 William Edwards, Deacon. Talcaneiddian, near Llanfair
      • St Gredifael's Church - on geograph.org.uk
      • Tudor Chapel, St Gredifael's Church - on geograph.org.uk
      • "St Gredifael's is a little altered Medieval rural church. The chancel and nave date from around 1400, while the north chapel and south porch were added early in the fifteenth century. ......" coflein
      • "Pencarneddi Baptist Chapel was built in 1803, enlarged in 1827, rebuilt in 1870 and rebuilt again in 1929........" coflein
      • Gilead Welsh CM chapel, Penmynydd - on geograph.org.uk and "...... was built in 1833, rebuilt in 1856 rebuilt again in 1866......." coflein
      • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Penmynydd section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2016)

      Gilead Chapel, Penmynydd - on the People's Collection Wales site


      Church Records

      Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.

      Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

      • Penmynydd Calvinistic Methodist chapel;- 1896-1995: accounts, reports, collection and membership books

      Description & Travel

      Penmynydd - on wikipedia and on wicipedia (Welsh)

      You can see pictures of Penmynydd which are provided by:



      PENMYNNEDD (PEN-MYNYDD), a parish in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (W.) from Beaumaris, containing 377 inhabitants. The name of this place, signifying literally "the summit of the mountain," is derived from the situation of its church on a lofty eminence. The lord-ship originally belonged to the ancestors of Owain ab Meredydd ab Tudyr, husband of Catherine of France, Queen dowager of HenryV., and grandfather of Henry VII., who was born here in 1385. The ancient mansion of that family, now converted into a farm-house, preserves many vestiges of its former owners, and some remains of its ancient grandeur; the great mantel-piece of the hall, some coats of arms of the family, with dates of different parts of the building, and of successive repairs, are still in existence. The last male descendant of this house, from which sprung the Tudor line of English sovereigns, was Richard, who was sheriff of the county in 1657, on whose death the lordship or manor passed to Margaret, the sole heiress, who conveyed it by marriage to Coningsby Williams, Esq., of Glan y Gore, in this county, who possessed it during his life : it was afterwards sold to Lord Bulkeley, whose representative still continues in the possession of it. The parish, which is situated on the old Holyhead road, comprises a very extensive tract of arable and pasture land, which, with the exception only of a very small portion, is enclosed and cultivated. The surface is undulating, and the soil, though various, is tolerably productive. There is a fair on Easter Monday, principally for hiring servants. This place constitutes a prebend in the cathedral church of Bangor, valued in the king's books at £ 8. 5. 7 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £ 400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Prebendary. The church, dedicated to St. Credivael, a saint who flourished about the close of the fifth century, and first presided over the college of Ty Gwyn, is a very ancient structure, supposed to have been erected in the year 630: it contains a very superb altar-tomb of white alabaster, without arms or inscription, removed hither on the dissolution of the abbey of Llanvaes, and supposed to have been erected to the memory of some of the Tudor family ; it supports the effigies of two recumbent figures, one a warrior in complete armour, with a helmet of conical form, and the other a female in flowing robes and a square hood : the heads are supported by angels, and the feet rest upon lions. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Six almshouses, which had been previously founded in this parish, were endowed in 1623, by Lewis Owen, Esq., of Twickenham, in the county of Middlesex, with the tithes of the parish of Eglwys-Rhos, for the better support of the almspeople : these tithes have long been held by the family of Mostyn, who have paid an annual sum for the support of the almshouses, at present amounting to £ 60 per annum. There are also other charitable donations and bequests of land and money for the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £208. 13. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)


      The Anglesey history site - Penmynydd, birthplace of royalty

      Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

      • The Old Almshouses at Penmynydd
      • This photograph of Plas Penmynydd in Anglesey was probably taken in the late nineteenth century. It shows the kitchen fireplace flanked by wooden fireside benches that were a common feature of Welsh farmhouses and cottages.

      Land & Property

      Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

      • Penmynydd land tax;- 1728-1869: assessments
      • Penmynydd Parish;- 1618-1994: records
      • Penmynydd Parish Council;- 1894-1964: minutes, financial records
      • Penmynydd tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
      • Penmynydd window tax;- 1760-65: assessments


      Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Parishes)

      Penmynydd parish in the County of Anglesey - on the People's Collection Wales site

      You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH513739 (Lat/Lon: 53.241278, -4.230423), Penmynydd which are provided by: