Crucadarn / Crickadarn
"CRICKADARN, (or Cerrigcadarn), a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, in the county of Brecon, 5½ miles S. of Builth. It is situated at the junction of the rivers Clettwr and Wye, and contains the hamlets of North and South Crickadarn, and Erwrd. ... [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
An account of the receipts and expenditure in building Crickadarn National Schoolroom, Breconshire. Cronicl Powys, No. 40 (April 1997), 24-25
Bidgood, Ruth. Pool Hall, Crucadarn and its owners and occupiers from the late 17th to early 19th centuries. Brycheiniog 24 26 (1990-92) (1993-94), p. 67-83 118
Charters, Alan. Aspects of Crickadarn. Aberedw : Alan Charters, c2000. 27p
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given under Breconshire Parish Registers on the Powys Archives website
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales (NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives:
- Baptisms 1734-56, 1775-82, 1813-1992; Marriages 1734-1971; Burials 1734-1756, 1775-1782, 1813-1983; Banns 1823-1985 Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, SOG and/or Powys Archives. Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
The transcription of the section for Crucadarn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Crucadarn / Crickadarn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Crucadarn / Crickadarn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Map of the parish of Crickadarn in the County of Brecon. 1843. J. G. Lewis, surveyor. Lewis, surveyor. Edward Fowke, Glanhenwye, Glasbury, valuer.James Williams, Pontithel, Aberllynfi, valuer. Second class map. Voluntary agreement. Commutation dated 21.01.1842. Shows foot/bridleway, waterbodies, woods, plantations, building names, mill, ring earthworks and common. 4,331 acres commuted. Apportionment by holding. Land use details and field-names given in apportionment schedule. Tithe rent charge £240 (£240 Vicar).
Map of the parish of Crickadarn in the County of Brecon - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO069414 (Lat/Lon: 52.063173, -3.358855), Crucadarn / Crickadarn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Crickadarn school - on the People's Collection Wales site