"ABERDARON, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, in the county of Carnarvon, North-Wales, 14 miles S.W. of Pwllheli. It is situated, as its name indicates, at the mouth of the river Daron, at the extremity of the peninsula of Lleyn, and opposite to Bardsey Island. On this island a famous monastery once existed which used to attract a large number of pilgrims. Aberdaron was the usual place of embarkation for the island, and was much frequented by the pilgrims. On the highest ground a chapel was erected, Capel Vair, or "Chapel of Our Lady," in which it was customary to invoke the protection of the Virgin before passing over to the island. There was also another chapel at a little distance from the former, and near the shore, named Capel-Anlaaelog. These have both shared the destiny of the monastery to which they were related, and have fallen into decay." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Armstrong, Christopher. R. S. Thomas, priest of Aberdaron. The David Jones Journal, 3 (Summer / Autumn2001), 87-90.
- Elliss, Wesley J. The Church of Saint Hywyn, Aberdaron. [Caernarfon] : Cymdeithas Hanes Sir Gaernarfon,  31p
- Humphreys, Hugh. The celebrated Cambrian linguist, or, The history of Dick Aberdaron, who, by his natural talent and perseverance in the face of every disadvantage, worked his way until he was proficient in 35 languages! Carnarvon : Printed and sold by H. Humphreys, [1867?] 48p
- Roscoe, William. Memoir of Richard Roberts Jones (Dic Aberdaron) of Aberdaron : in the county of Carnarvon, in North Wales; exhibiting a remarkable instance of a partial power and cultivation of intellect. London : Printed for T. Cadell, Strand, and J. and A. Arch, Cornhill, 1822. 50p - on google books (complete)
- Taylor, Roger. Days to remember at Aberdaron. Country Quest (December 1995), p. 39-40
Pen y Caerau Woollen Mill Accounts 1873 - 1912 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"A collection of six account books of the Pen y Caerau Woollen Mill, situated near Aberdaron ... "
Robert Thomas, Bryncroes Account Book 1790 - 1821 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"An account book containing a variety of entries such as goods bought, wages paid out to John Hughes, money lending and investing in shipbuilding in Aberdaron, Pwllheli and Tudweliog..."
|Aberdaron New Parish Church, Aberdaron|
|St Hywyn, Aberdaron|
|St Mary's Abbey, Bardsey Island|
|St Mary, near Ty-Hen|
|St Mary, near Uwchmynydd|
|St Merin, near Ty-Hen|
|St Peter, Penrhosgarnedd|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Aberdaron Parish; Statistics; Area 7078 acres; Population 598 males, 641 females, total 1239
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Hywen's Church, Aberdaron
Aberdaron Church - on Rhiw.com
There are photographs of the following Aberdaron chapels on the Penllyn.com site;
Capel Rhydlios (CM); Capel Saron (CM); Capel Rhoshirwaun (Bethesda) (Baptist)
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Aberdaron chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- ST HYWYNS CHURCH, ABERDARON
- ST AELRHIW'S CHURCH, RHIW
- ST MAELRHYS CHURCH
- Deunant chapel (CM), Aberdaron
- Uwchmynydd chapel (CM), Aberdaron
- PISGAH METHODIST CHAPEL (WESLEYAN), RHIW, Y
- NEBO INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, RHIW, Y
- Elders of Deunant chapel (CM), Aberdaron (1896)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Aberdaron churchyard - some inscriptions on Alwyn's Godsacre site
On Caryl Williams's site - Emigrants from Aberdaron to the USA taken from a manuscript (Bangor MSS 16910) deposited at the Dept of Manuscripts, University College, Bangor
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aberdaron to another place.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Papers of Capt. Griffiths, Moranedd, Aberdaron 1813-1918
"Captain Robert Griffiths (fl. 1893-1916) .... worked for the Beeswing Sailing Ship Co. Ltd, Porthmadog, Caernarfonshire, and in 1893 became captain of the barque 'Beeswing' until around 1910..... "
- Hendre estate, Aberdaron, papers 1754-1959 - The Williams family of Hendre, Aberdaron
- Harri Williams Collection of Papers and Letters 1757-1877 - " ... a diverse collection of papers and letters, including correspondence of his relative Griffiths Williams, who worked as a coal and silver ore miner in the United States in the 1860s, and papers relating to Aberdaron..."
You can see the administrative areas in which Aberdaron has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A photograph of Aberdaron Village around 1913 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Depositions 26 May 1652: - on the People's Collection Wales site
- 1. John Evans of Aberdaron aged about [?32] deposes that on 10 April he saw John Thomas of Bryncroes strike Elizabeth Gorton with a 'threshle or flayle' at a place called Ty'r Toppyn. He also saw Margarett verch Griffith, the mother of J. T., strike E. G. with a rack.
- 2. Agnes verch Rob[er]t of Bryncroes, spinster aged about 30 deposes that on 10 April she saw J. T. assault E. G.
- 3. Catherin Gorton and John Evans of Aberdaron and Richard Thomas of Bryncroes all depose that they heard Moris Griffith tell J. T. and M. G. to come to the house of Richard Thomas [husband of E. G.]. They then saw J. T. strike E. S. with a cudgel, close to her husband's house.
Hendre (Aberdaron) deeds 1671-1863 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Hendre otherwise Tir Thomas Rowland is in the parish of Aberdaron, Caernarfonshire. In 1671 Hendre was owned by Rowland Thomas....."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH174278 (Lat/Lon: 52.816808, -4.710431), Aberdaron which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Aberdaron Lime & Coal Ships - on the Rhiw site
Aberdaron Parish Records 1787 - 1840 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The bulk of this collection consists of accounts relating to disbursements made towards relief of the poor of the parish of Aberdaron and of monies received in taxes, legacies etc. and by the Overseers of the Poor. This material includes accounts relating to Bodernabwy, Carreg, Is Sely, Llidiardau, Penycaerau, Tyddyn, Uwch Sely, and Uwch Mynydd.
The collection also contains documents relating to an assessment of the Poor Rate for the parish for 1793. There is also a list of voluntary subscribers towards the cost of keeping a school on weekdays and Sunday at the Parish Church, Aberdaron ......... There is also material relating to Land Tax Assessments for 1836 and 1837....."
Rev. Henry Hughes, Bryncir Papers 1772-1920 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"......Amongst the transcripts is a copy of the births, marriages, and deaths in the parishes of Aberdaron and Llanfaelrhys between 1761 and 1882....." William Owen Roberts, Plas Llangwnadl Manuscripts 1793-1966 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The collection consists of transcripts of the parish registers of .............Aberdaron, 1814-1944.... "
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Dic Aberdaron 1823
- Senedd Aberdaron (1896)
- Gyn Davies, Aberdaron, c1885. A man with a donkey and cart outside the Ship public house, surrounded by other men and some women
- Donkey rides in Aberdaron c1885
- A group about to set off for Bardsey from Aberdaron, early twentieth century