"LLANRUG, (or Llanfihangel-in-rug), a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 2 miles E. of Carnarvon, its post town. It is situated on the river Seiont, aid includes the township of Cwm-y-Glo. Here are small veins of copper. Most of the people are employed in the slate quarries. In the grounds of the vicarage is an inscribed stone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value £166, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church, which stands on a hill, is dedicated to St. Michael, and is an ancient structure in the form of a cross. The charities amount to about £1 per annum. Here are remains of an ancient camp, and houses of the early inhabitants. Glangwnna and Plas Tirion are the principal residences." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Jones, J Eiddon. Hanes achos crefyddol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn Llanrug, Sir Gaernarfon, 1783-1900. Dolgellau: E.W.Evans, 1904. 145p
- Parry, Edgar W. Eglwysi Gwynedd. 2; Eglwys Sant Mihangel, Llanrug. Gwreiddiau Gwynedd / Gwynedd Roots. 36 (1999), p. 22-24
- Rees, D Ben. A brave son of Llanrug.[Sir Hugh Rowlands] Country Quest. (November 2001), p. 8-9
- Richards, Melville. Tri enw : Cae Meta (Landdeiniolen), Tyddyn Bisla (Llanrug), Maes Incla (Llanbeblig). Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 29 (1968), p. 152-4
- Williams, W Alister. Commandant of the Transvaal, the life and career of General Sir Hugh Rowlands, VC, KCB, published in Wrexham in 2001 (ISBN 1-872424-41-4)
- Williams, W Alister. Heart of a Dragon, the VCs of Wales and the Welsh Regiments, published in Wrexham in 2006 (ISBN 978-1-84494-027-1) which contains a chapter on General Sir Hugh Rowlands of Plas Tirion, Llanrug.
- Williams, Hugh. The parish of Llanrug, Carnarvonshire, with an account of the restoration of the parish church.
Cefn Du Manuscripts 1878-1928 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Until 1928 the Cefn Du Slate Quarry, situated in the parishes of Llanrug and Llanbeblig, was one of the most important of the minor quarries of Caernarvonshire...."
1851 Census of Llanrug. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form.
|Llanrug Baptist Chapel, Llanrug|
|Bryngwyn Welsh Independent Chapel, Llanrug|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanrug Parish; Statistics; Area 4516 acres; Population 958 males, 936 females, total 1894
Diary and Commonplace Books of Reverend Peter Bayley Williams - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Diary of Reverend Peter Bayley Williams for the year 1825, containing many references to the parishioners of Llanrug and Llanberis etc ............"
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llanrug chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (July 2010) Also Cwmyglo chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Jan 2010)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- ST MICHAELS CHURCH
- LLANRUG BAPTIST CHAPEL
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Llanrug Parish Register of Burials 1813-49 - on the People's Collection Wales site Bangor,
Caernarfon and Tregarth Wesleyan Methodist Circuits Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales "Include .............. Capel Hermon, Llanrug, 1812-1974.........."
Capel Mawr, Llanrug, cofysgrifau (records) 1790, 1833-1976 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Adeiladwyd y capel cyntaf yn 1798. Yna yn 1822 adeiladwyd ail gapel. Cynyddodd poblogaeth ardal Llanrug, ac yn sgîl diwygiad 1839-1840 cynyddodd aelodaeth y capel. Penderfynwyd felly adeiladu trydydd capel. Agorwyd hwn yn 1842. Erbyn 1868 roedd pedwerydd capel wedi ei godi ......................................"
LLANRUG, or LLANVIHANGEL YN RUG, a parish in the hundred of ISGORVAI, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (E.) from Carnarvon, on the new line of road to Capel Curig, containing 1204 inhabitants. This parish is separated from that of Llandeiniolen by the river Seiont, which forms its northern boundary. It contains no village, and the church, which is far detached from any dwelling, is situated on a beautiful eminence, commanding extensive prospects of the sea and the country adjacent, embracing the Snowdon range of mountains on the east, and the bay of Carnarvon on the west ; and in certain states of the atmosphere even the Irish hills are distinctly visible from this place. There are several good mansions in detached situations, inhabited by opulent families, among which are the beautiful small villa of Glangwnna, deeply embosomed in woods on the sloping bank of the river Seiont, the property of the daughters of the late Thomas Lloyd, Esq., of Shrewsbury ; Plas Tirion, the seat of John Rowland, Esq. ; Ty'n y Coed, the residence of Major Jones ; and Plas Gwynn, the seat of Major Creighton, about to be occupied by Mr. Swainson, of Liverpool, who, with other gentlemen, has taken the slate quarry on the farm of Ty-Du, in the parish of Llanberis. The land is for the greater part enclosed and in a state of good cultivation : an act of parliament for enclosing the waste lands was obtained about the year 1809. The farms are small, the largest seldom comprising more than a hundred acres; and such of the inhabitants as are not engaged in agriculture are employed in the quarries and in the neighbouring mines. The parish abounds with slate of a reddish hue, or of a brown colour, of a very durable substance, and not apt to open or crack when exposed to the weather. There are quarries both on the mountain called Cevn Du. and on a farm called Glynn Rhonwy, in this parish, belonging to Lord Newborough: on the latter they are numerous, and are worked to a considerable extent under the superintendence of Mr. Roberts of Carnarvon, who rents them under his lordship. These quarries afford employment to more than two hundred men, and the slates are brought down the Llanberis lakes in boats, and thence conveyed by carts to Carnarvon. There are indications of copper-ore on Gaer Cwm y Glo, and also on a mountainous rocky farm called Llwyncoed : some small veins have been actually laid open; and in a rock near the lake, close to the new road, and on the same farm, a vein of asbestos, or amianthus, has been found. At a short distance higher up, and near the boundary of the farms called Llwyncoed and Glynn Rhonwy, is a vein of white soapy clay, resembling fullers' earth, which dips into the lake and may be taken up from a boat. Numerous curious specimens of fossils, minerals, and crystals, are found in the mountainous district of this parish.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £5.12.6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small but venerable cruciform structure, in the later style of English architecture, without tower or steeple, but having at the west end a pointed arch, rising above the roof and surmounted by a small cross, under which a bell is suspended : from its elevated situation it is seen from a great distance in every direction, and it has been rendered more conspicuous by being whitewashed all over, not even excepting the roof. There are two places of worship for Calvinistic, and one for Wesleyan, Methodists; and a dwelling-house has been recently converted to the use of a congregation of Presbyterians. Two school-houses have been erected by the Calvinistic Methodists, where Sunday schools are held, as also in each of their places of worship. Mr. John Morris, in 1710, bequeathed two tenements in this parish, called Drws-Dangoed and Caer Weddus, for apprenticing poor boys of this parish and that of Llanbeblig : two or three boys are annually placed out according to the will of the testator, and the benefit is enjoyed by both parishes alternately. In several parts of the parish are numerous remains of cottages, or huts, probably the residences of the aboriginal inhabitants at some period of very remote antiquity : they are generally in clusters of eight or ten each, and appear to have formed distinct villages. They are called Cyttiau 'r Gwyddelod, or "the Irishmen's huts," and are generally circular in form : two stones on one side of each seem to mark out the entrance, and a large upright stone probably points out the fire-place : the walls, which are about two feet high, and three in thickness, are composed of small stones without mortar. Near these huts are frequently found remains of the "quern," or stone handmill, consisting of two stones, one concave and the other convex, with a place for an iron handle ; and stone and brass celts have also been found in the vicinity of these ancient habitations, which are generally distributed through the parish, and of which the number of circular foundations exceeds three hundred. Davydd Thomas, the celebrated Welsh bard, better known as " Davydd Ddu o Eryri," was interred at this place; and Dr. Edwards, who accompanied Commodore Anson in his voyage round the world, and held the office of surgeon on board the Tamer frigate, was a native of this parish, and son of one of its rectors : he also lies buried in the churchyard. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £211. 15. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanrug to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanrug has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Llanrug Parish History 1937 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"By Robert Davies of Tan-y-coed, Llanrug ........ His essay on the history of the parish of Llanrug was entered for competition in the Llanrug Chapel Eisteddfod in March 1937........"
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Tan-y-Dinas and Pantafon, deeds 1835-1894 "Henry Bailey Williams (1805-1879) was rector of Llanberis, Caernarfonshire, 1836-1843, and Llanrug, 1843-1879.......... He lived at Pantafon, Llanrug, and held other property in Llanrug as well as Tan-y-Dinas, Llandwrog....."
- Emyr Thomas Papers 1545-1922 (mainly 1545-1789) "The family of William ap Morgan ap Jevan [Ieuan] (fl. 1609-1614) of Llanrug owned Tythyn Ivor and other properties in the parish ................."
- Trevor Roberts, Solicitors: Plastirion estate papers 1795-1950 "The Plastirion estate included land in the parishes of Llanrug, Llanwnda and Llandwrog......."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH537621 (Lat/Lon: 53.136135, -4.188752), Llanrug which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Unfit for military service certificate. Conscription was introduced into Britain in 1916, initially for men aged 18-41, but the age limit was extended, eventually being raised to 51. Thus Richard David Owen of Llanrug, one month short of his 45th birthday, had to appear in front of a medical board in June 1918 to be assessed for his fitness for military service. He was found medically unfit due to his varicose veins. - on the People's Collection Wales site
Ysgol Brynrefail records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Ysgol Brynrefail, formerly Llanberis County School, is a rural secondary school located close to the village of Llanrug. The school was originally founded in 1900 as a grammar school and situated in the village of Brynrefail....."
John Williams, Solicitor, Caernarfon Archive - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ............ deeds and miscellaneous papers from Glanmoelyn School, Llanrug, 1921-1927...."