1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Trefilan contained the following places:
"TREFILAN, a parish in the hundred of Lower Ilar, county Cardigan, 6 miles N.W. of Lampeter, its post town, and 12 from Aberayron. The village is situated on the river Ayron and the Sarn Helen Roman way. The parish includes the hamlet of Talsarn, situated under Talsarn Hill, which has an elevation of 1,148 feet above sea-level. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £77, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Hilary, was rebuilt in 1806. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There are traces of a moated castle near the village. Fairs are held on 8th September, and 7th November."
"TALSARN, a hamlet in the parish of Trefilan, county Cardigan, 7 miles N.W. of Lampeter. It is situated near the Sarn Helen way, under Talsarn Hill."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018