"LLANVYNYDD (LLAN-FYNYDD), a parish, in the union of LLANDILO-VAWR, lower division of the hundred of CATHINOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (N.W.) from Llandilo-Vawr; containing 1358 inhabitants. This parish, which is of very considerable extent, containing 11,000 acres, is pleasantly situated near the source of the river Sannan . . . the lands are for the greater part inclosed and cultivated, and the soil is tolerably fertile. Fairs are held annually in the village on July 5th, August 13th, and Novemeber 10th. The place constitutes a prebend in the Collegiate Church of Brecknock . . The church, dedicated to St. Egwad, is not entitled to architectural notice. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists and Baptists. A day school, containing 20 children of both sexes, was endowed in 1738, by the Rev. D. Jones . . . There are also three Sunday schools, in one of which, supported by subscription, are forty males and females, who attend the Established Church; the other two appertain to the the dissenters, and afford gratuitous instruction to 120. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Roberts, Gomer Morgan. Morgan Rhys, Llanfynydd. G.M. Roberts (1951) 24 p., ill. (Series: Cyfres yr emynwyr.)
|Pen-Y-Garn Independent Sunday School, Pen-Y-Garn, Llanfynydd|
|Carmel Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist, Llanfynydd|
|Llanfynydd Chapel (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist;Spite), Llanfynydd|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Egwad's Church
Digital copy of a colour photograph showing a general view of Amor Baptist Chapel, Llanfynydd taken by Robert Scourfield, 1995. - on the People's Collection Wales site
Evans, D.S. O Fanc y Spite:atgofion am gapel y Methodistiaid yn Llanfynydd, Llanbedr Pont Steffan, Ceredigion, Gwasg Edwin Mellen (1997) xiv, 337 p., 46 p. of plates, ill. [ISBN: 0773486542] [Llanfynydd Calvinistic Methodist Chapel - History]
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1692-1812), Marriages (1692-1782, 1797-1967), Banns (1823-78) and Burials (1692-1940) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR index CB (1813-1989) M (1698-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672, 1678-9, 1681, 1683-4, 1686-7, 1693, 1696-8, 1701-3, 1707, 1716-17, 1719-22, 1725-31, 1733-57, 1759-73, 1775-82, 1786-1800, 1802-56) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Amor (Baptist, c1795), Llanfynydd village Members (1899-1900) NLW Ms 18117C On Dyfed FHS
- PEN-Y-GARN INDEPENDENT SUNDAY SCHOOL, PEN-Y-GARN - no data coflein
- Carmel (Calvinistic Methodist, bef 1850), near Cefnbrisgen farm in upper part of parish SN58152916 Built 1850/1. Enlarged 1875, rebuilt 1908 Coflein
- Spite (Calvinistic Methodist, 1738), Llanfynydd village On Dyfed FHS Spite Llanfynydd CM chapel - still open in 2006
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
Llanfynydd - on Wikipedia
The transcription of the section for Llanfynydd from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfynydd to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfynydd has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish
Held at Carmarthen Archives;
- Printed tithe apportionments 1841-1843 for Llandybie, Llanfynydd and Llandeilo fawr parishes.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN571285 (Lat/Lon: 51.936596, -4.080734), Llanfynydd which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfynydd parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Mary Greatorex)