"LLANSADWRNEN (LLAN-SADYRNIN), a parish, in the higher division of the hundred of DERLLYS, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (S.W.) from Laugharne: containing 237 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, is pleasantly situated on the bay of Carmarthen, and is but of small extent; the land is inclosed and in a tolerable state of cultivation. Limestone is found in the rocks near the coast, but the inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied; and the views, extending over the bay and the adjacent country, are interesting, and combine some features of a picturesque character. . . In the limestone rock near the coast is a curious and beautiful cavern of large dimensions, which was formerly a retreat for smugglers." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Laugharne with Llansadurnen from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Sadyrnen
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1663-1993), Marriages (1663-1969) , Burials (1663-1992) and Microfiche Christenings and Burials (1813-1972) at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR index (1666-1875) at Carm.RO
Facsimile Parish registers: Christenings, Marriages and Burials (1663-1812) are at the National Library of Wales.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677-8, 1682, 1684, 1686, 1691, 1716-21, 1727-33, 1735-44, 1746-8, 1750-95, 1797-1800, 1802-12, 1814-39, 1849-51, 1854-5, 1857-64, 1868, 1871-2, 1880, 1884-5, 1888) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1666-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Bethel Baptist Chapel - built in 1862, closed in 1990 and by 1998 had been converted to residential use. coflein
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Llansadwrnen from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llansadwrnen to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llansadwrnen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish.
- Castles, Boroughs and Religious Houses/ Burgages and other Property; ..."within the boroughs and distributed throughout the lordship and manors were burgesses who owned no land but paid the lord.....and rendered the same services as those enjoying burgage tenure. For this they shared all the privileges of the townsmen, except that they were not allowed to trade. Where protection alone was sought, they paid sums varying from 2d at Llansadyrnin ....................At the end of the fourteenth century ............and the Llaugharne and Llansadyrnin of 1307 could point to 216 burgages; in 1437 there were as many burgages as there were shillings in £13.3s.2 3/4d..............Burgage lands were not confined to the boroughs.......here and there were little groups of burgesses who enjoyed much the same conditions of tenure as the townspeople.......such were to be found at .... Llansadyrnin etc..."
- Castles, Boroughs and Religious Houses/Administration; ..."the steward who presided over the manorial court was entitled to a certain number of sheep from all tenants on the occasion of his first visit to the borough.......at Llansadyrnin, as at Llandilo, he got 12d (salary a year)......."
- The Later Middle Ages/ The Lordships/Laugharne; .."The advowsons of the churches of Laugharne and Llansadyrnin and of...... belonged to the lord................ Llansadyrnin, where there were at the same date (1400) some 40 burgesses, was in the charge of a reeve......."
- The Age of the Native Princes/The Early Church/Rise of the Kingdom of Deheubarth;..."No vestige remains of any ecclesiastical building erected during this period (400-1282)......the abundance of wood led to the neglect of the use of stone for this purpose............but stone was used.......setting up memorials to the dead...........these are found in association with many sacred sites in Carmarthenshire........indicate places of Christian interment as early as the sixth century..........Inscriptions with the Latin character only are recorded from.........and Llansadyrnin ..."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN277095 (Lat/Lon: 51.757318, -4.498171), Llansadwrnen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llansadwrnen as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)