"MERTHYR, a parish, in the lower division of the hundred of ELVET, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (W.) from Carmarthen; containing 295 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the south-western portion of the county, and is intersected on the west by the river Cywin, which falls into the Tâf at Llangvihangel-Abercowin; and on the south by the turnpike-road leading from Carmarthen to St. Clear's. . . The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a small plain building, undistinguished by any architectural details. There are places for worship for Presbyterians, and a class of dissenters who assume no particular denomination; and a school-room has been built for the instruction of the poor. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
|Cana Chapel, Bancyfelin, Welsh Independent, Merthyr|
|Cemetery, Bancyfelin, Merthyr|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Merthyr
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1681-1980) and Marriages (1681-1970) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1686-1875) at Carm.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672-3, 1677-9, 1682, 1686, 1690-1, 1694-9, 1702-3, 1707-8, 1711, 1713, 1715-18, 1723-36, 1738-1800, 1802-39, 1841-2) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1686-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 15 - Elvet Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Cana (Independent, c1815), Passby Annual report 1958-9 NLW, history (compiled 1849) Carmarthenshire R.O. On Dyfed FHS Cana Ind chapel, Bancyfelin - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Merthyr from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Merthyr to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Merthyr has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN358208 (Lat/Lon: 51.861463, -4.385648), Merthyr which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Merthyr as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)