"A township in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; containing, in 1841, 1449 inhabitants. ..... This township and its vicinity abound with rich and extensive mines of coal, lead, and iron ore, &c., and various establishments, on a very large scale, have for a considerable number of years been employed in working them. .....
That remarkable monument of Saxon industry, Clawdd Offa, or Offa's Dyke, passes through this township, crossing near Brymbo Hall, where it has been levelled for the formation of rail-roads in connexion with the collieries and iron-works: in levelling a portion of it, a great quantity of the bones of horses, in a state of excellent preservation, and horse-shoes of rude workmanship, were found." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The new parish of Broughton was formed by an Order in Council on 15 February 1909, from part of the township of Broughton, which since 1844 had been in the parish of Brymbo. On 7 May 1921, a small part of the south of the parish went to the new parish of Southsea.
- Bagshaw, John. Broughton then and now Wrexham : Bridge Books, 1992.
- Bagshaw, John. A peep into the past with the Broughton and District Local History Group [Broughton and District Local History Group], 1987.
- Booth, John. Broughton bred Wrexham : John Booth, 1996.
- Chaloner, Joan. Broughton and neighbouring villages Brynteg : Broughton & District Local History Society, 1995.
|Bethesda Independent Chapel, Brynteg|
|Moss Congregational Chapel, Moss|
|Salem Newydd Independent Chapel, Pentre Broughton|
|Westminster Road (1) Independent Chapel, Broughton|
|Westminster Road Independent Chapel, Moss|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Broughton Township within Wrexham Parish, Statistics; Area 1183 acres; Population 1037 males, 965 females, total 2002
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 306533.
The foundation stone of the church, which is dedicated to St. Paul, was laid on 12 November 1888. The first service was held on Monday, 29 July 1889, although the church was not officially licensed for worship until 16 November 1889 - and almost twenty years passed before it was consecrated, on 3 January 1909.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of St. Paul's.
A new Mission Church, St. Peter's, at Brynteg (SJ 308523), was dedicated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 1 May 1895.
The church was consecrated on 3 January 1909.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of St. Peter's.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Broughton :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Moriah, New Broughton||Baptists||30|
|Salem Newydd (or Moss)||Baptists||269|
|Blacklane||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||230|
|Caersalem, Pentre Cerney||Calvinistic Methodists||180|
|Cyssegr,New Broughton||Calvinistic Methodists||150|
|Berea, New Broughton||Congregationalists||60|
|Bethesda, Bryn Teg||Congregationalists||171|
|Moss||Congregationalists (English language)||47|
|Bethel, Old Mount||Wesleyans||500|
|Brake (or Moss)||Wesleyans (English language)||312|
|Soar, New Broughton||Wesleyans||229|
|Moriah, Blacklane (Welsh)||United Methodist Free Church||78|
|Lodge||Primitive Methodists (English language)||70|
|Zion, Brynteg||Primitive Methodists (English language)||300|
|Cerney||Free Gospellers (English language)||200|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1890 - 1925||1909 - 1954||1889 - 1927|
- There are no Bishop's Transcripts for St. Paul's, Broughton.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Paul's, Broughton.
Having been formed from townships of the parish of Wrexham, the parish of Broughton was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Broughton are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broughton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Broughton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ306533 (Lat/Lon: 53.072405, -3.037288), Broughton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the population of the parish as 5036.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]