"A parish in the Union of Oswestry, hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh. ..... This parish is bounded on the north by the river Dee, and on the south by the Ceiriog, which unite on its eastern side. It lies at the foot of the Berwyn range of mountains, which skirt it on the west, and its surface is somewhat uneven, rising from the village to an eminence on which the castle is situated, on the western side, with the Berwyns beyond, and on the eastern to another elevation, from the brow of which there is a delightful prospect of the plain of Salop, on the one side, and on the other a nearer view of part of the Vale of Llangollen. ..... The village is pleasantly situated on the northern bank of the river Ceiriog, which, flowing through a small vale of great beauty, here separates the counties of Denbigh and Salop, and consequently Wales and England." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish comprises the townships of Chirk, Bryncynallt, Halton, Gwernospin and Penyclawdd.
- A guide to Llangollen, Chirk & Corwen Manchester : Abel Heywood & Son, [191-?]
- A memoir of Chirk Castle Chester : Hugh Roberts, Printer, 1859.
- Arnold, C J. Excavation of Offa's Dyke, Chirk Castle Trafodion (Denbighshire Historical Society), 40 (1991), p. 93-97
- Burton, Jill and Yvonne Turton. Chirk castle and the Civil War Welsh Historian, No. 32 (Spring 2002), 19-20
- Chirk by The Chirk Local History Society ; foreword by Lord Howard de Walden. Loggerheads : S. B. Publications ; [Chirk] 1989.
- Emery, Gordon. Chirk aqueduct, viaduct & tunnel Chester : Gordon Emery, 1989.
- Emery, Gordon. Chirk- Castle, dyke & canal Chester : Gordon Emery, 1989.
- Hurdsman, C. Neville. A history of the parish of Chirk Wrexham : Bridge Books, 1996.
- Jones, C. Delyth R. Llangollen-Chirk canal (edited by Neil Thomson). Mold : Planning and Estates Department, Clwyd County Council, 1980.
- Mahler, Margaret. A history of Chirk Castle and Chirkland London : G. Bell, 1912.
- Milner-Gibson-Cullum, Gery. Pedigree of Middleton or Myddelton, of Chirk Castle, Denbigh London : Mitchell and Hughes, 1897.
- Myddelton, W M. Chirk Castle accounts, A.D. 1605-1666 St. Albans: Gibbs and Ramforth, 1908. and Chirk Castle accounts, (continued) A.D. 1666-1753 Horncastle: W. K. Morton & Sons, 1931
- Palmer, Vera. Chirk and the Glyn Valley Tramway Loggerheads : S.B.Publications, 1988.
- Pink, William Duncombe . Notes on the Middleton family of Denbighshire & London &c. [Chester, England] : Chester Courant Office, 1891.
- Pratt, Derrick. The marcher lordship of Chirk, 1329-1330 Trafodion (Denbighshire Historical Society), 39 (1990), p. 5-41
- Pratt, Derrick. A Chirk charter, 1334 Trafodion (Denbighshire Historical Society), 43 (1994), p. 109-115
- Pratt, Derrick. The medieval borough of Chirk Trafodion (Denbighshire Historical Society), 46 (1997), p. 26-51.
- Reports of the Society for Bettering the Condition of the Poor in the Hundred of Oswestry and the parishes of Chirk, Llansilin and Llanarmon Oswestry : Printed for the society by T. Edwards, 1813-23.
- Smith, Llinos Beverley. The grammar and commonplace books of John Edwards of Chirk Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies, Vol. 34 (1987), p. 174-184
|St Mary, Chirk|
|Tresalem Independent Chapel, Tresalem|
|The Sacred Heart Of Jesus, Chirk|
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Mary's Church Ordnance Survey reference SJ 291376.
There is believed to have been a Christian church on the site since the 7th century. The earliest written records, which date from 1163, refer to "Warinus, priest of Chirklands". The church was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291.
There were extensive alterations to the Norman structure during the late 15th century; and various renovations and restorations during the early 19th century. The church was partly rebuilt after being damaged by fire in the early hours of Christmas Day, 1853. Further restoration work was carried out in 1877.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Mary's Church (Internal and external) on the People's Collection Wales site
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Chirk :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Black Park||Primitive Methodists (English language)||400|
|Pont y Blew||Primitive Methodists (English language)||100|
|Chirk Green||United Methodist Free Church (English language)||300|
|Jubilee||Wesleyans (English language)||50|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1678 - 1956||1611 - 1971||1611 - 1975|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1666 - 1812||1612 - 1812||1611 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1663 - 1852||1666 - 1852|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Mary's, Chirk.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Chirk was assigned to the No. 4 ("St. Martin's") sub-district of the Oswestry Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Oswestry Incorporation poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Chirk are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Oswestry XVIII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Oswestry 6a. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chirk to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chirk has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Household accounts of the steward of Lady Myddleton, Chirk Castle, 1729 on the People's Collection Wales site
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
Plan of the parish of Chirk in the County of Denbigh on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ281395 (Lat/Lon: 52.948425, -3.071709), Chirk which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 1598.
- In 1901- the population was 2611.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 2649 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]
Chirk Tithe Map, 1837, with Schedule and Transcript on the People's Collection Wales site