"A parish in the Union of Conway, Uchdulas division of the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 6 miles (W by S) from Abergele, containing 604 inhabitants. It is situated in the midst of a very mountainous district, and agriculture affords the principal employment." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish had four townships - Bodlennyn (otherwise known as Tre'r Llan), Llaethfaen, Teyrdan, and Twynnan (otherwise known as Dolwen).
- Llanelian-Yn-Rhos, and its ancient church. [With photographs, including portraits.]. Bangor : [s.n.] , [1954?]
Ordnance Survey reference SH 864764.
The church is believed to have been founded in the sixth century by St. Elian. It was restored in 1859 and 1903.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Elian Church - on CPAT
ST EILIAN'S CHURCH; ST HILARY'S CHURCH;LLANELIAN-YN-RHOS CHURCH - on the People's Collection Wales site
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanelian yn Rhos :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1589 - 1987||1589 - 1981||1589 - 1992|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1589 - 1812||1591 - 1812||1589 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1666 - 1840||1672 - 1840|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Elian's, Llanelian.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanelian yn Rhos was assigned to the No. 2 ("Creuddyn") sub-district of the Conwy Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Conwy poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanelian yn Rhos are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Conway XXVII.nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Conway 11b.nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanelian-yn-Rhos to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanelian-yn-Rhos has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Map of the parish of Llanelian yn Rhos, County of Denbigh - on the People's Collection Wales site
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH869752 (Lat/Lon: 53.261536, -3.697028), Llanelian-yn-Rhos which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 604.
- In 1901- the population was 378.
[Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]