LLANGWM

In 1868, the parish of Llangwm contained the following places:

"LLANGWM, (or Llangwyn), a parish in the hundred of Isaled, county Denbigh, 6 miles N. of Bala, and 7 W. of Corwen, its post town. It is situated on a tributary of the river Dee, and includes nine townships, the principal of which are Cefn-Cymer and Disgarth. In the 10th century a conflict took place here between the rival princes, Eidwal and Meredydd, in which the latter was defeated. Stockings are made here. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £264, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Hierom. The charities produce about £8 per annum. Fairs are held on the 8th March, 18th April, and 11th August, for the sale of cattle and live stock.

"CEFN CYMER, a township in the parish of Llangwm, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 13 miles S.W. of Ruthin."

"DISGARTH, a township in the parish of Llangwm, in the county of Denbigh, 6 miles W. of Corwen."

"LLAN, a township in the parish of Llangwm, hundred of Isaled, county Denbigh, 7 miles W. of Corwen. It is situated on a branch of the river Dee, and consists for the most part of waste hills."

"LLYSDIMEL, a township in the parish of Llangwm, county Denbigh, 7 miles W. of Corwen."

"MOLFRE, a township in the parish of Llangwm, county Denbigh, 13 miles S.W. of Ruthin."

"NANT-HANLOG, a township in the parish of Llangwm, county Denbigh, 13 miles S.W. of Ruthin."

"PENYFOED, a township in the parish of Llangwm, county Denbigh, 8 miles W. of Corwen."

"RHOS Y MAMBICH, a township in the parish of Llangwm, county Denbigh, 13 miles. S.W. of Ruthin."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018