"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, 3 miles (NNW) from Ruthin, containing 115 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated nearly in the centre of the fertile and picturesque Vale of Clwyd. It is only of inconsiderable extent, but in the beauty of its situation, and the richness and variety of the surrounding scenery, it is not inferior to any spot of the same extent in this part of the principality. The lands are all enclosed and in a high state of cultivation, and the soil is tolerably fertile." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish of Llanychan contains only one township, namely Rhydellteyrn.
It is a very small parish, being less than one square mile in extent.
- Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Llanychan (Hundred of Ruthin) in the county of Denbigh : Major-General Sir Henry James, Director-General of the Ordnance Survey. London : Eyre & Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., 1875.
- Williams, David. Ty Gwyn, Llanychan Hel achau, No. 55 (Feb. 1998), p. 18-19
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Hychan's Church Ordnance Survey reference SJ 114621.
The church was founded in the fifth century by St. Hychan. It was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was restored in 1877 / 1878, and was re-opened on 28 February 1878.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist places of worship for Llanychan were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civil administrative district of Llangynhafal. Details will be found on the parish page for Llangynhafal.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1696 - 1991||1696 - 1970||1696 - 1991|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1677 - 1813||1677 - 1812||1676 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1676 - 1862||1813 - 1862|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Hychan's, Llanychan.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanychan was assigned to the No. 2 ("Ruthin") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanychan are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Llanychan - on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanychan to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanychan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Map of the parish of Llanychan, County of Denbigh - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ121619 (Lat/Lon: 53.147078, -3.316155), Llanychan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 115.
- In 1901- the population was 85.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]