"A hamlet, in that part of the parish of Gresford which is in the hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 5 miles (N by W) from Wrexham; containing 539 inhabitants. It is situated near the left bank of the river Alyn, and on the border of Flintshire. ..... Offa's Dyke passes between the township and the river." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
Llay became a parish of the Church in Wales on 13 December 1944. It was formed from the township of Llay, and parts of the townships of Burton, Gresford, and Marford & Hoseley, which, until then, been in the parish of Gresford.
- Llay village trail with brief history & photographs of Llay Main Colliery / produced by the Clwyd County Planning and Estates Department in association with the Llay Women's Institute. Clwyd County Council, 
- Nicholson, Arthur D. Explosion at the Llay Main Colliery, Wrexham, Denbighshire London : HMSO , 1925
- Tilston, Jeremy. The Tilston family of Llay smithy (1661-1991). Part 1, 1661-1704 Hel achau, 36 (1992), p. 2-5.
- Tilston, Jeremy. The Tilston family of Llay smithy (1661-1991). Part 2, 1704-1842 Hel achau, No. 37 (1992), p. 13-17
- Tilston, Jeremy. The Tilston family of Llay smithy (1661-1991). Part 3, 1840-1991 Hel achau, No. 39 (1993), p. 8-10
- Tyler-Jones, Vic. Ed. Llay Through the Ages - Photographs of the Colliery Years 1906-66 Printed by the Resources Department, Darland High School Rossett December 1999
- Tyler-Jones, Vic. Ed. Llay - a history in photographs , volume 2. Printed by Repro Grafix, Gwersyllt, December 2000
- Tyler-Jones, Vic. Ed. Llay - a history in photographs, volume 3, Llay at War Printed by Repro Grafix, Gwersyllt, November 2002
- Tyler-Jones, Vic The Miners of Llay Main, published by Bridge Books. 2011. Second edition 2018
|St Martin, Llay|
|Bethel Baptist Chapel, Llay|
|Glanaber Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (now Bethel Baptist Chapel), Llay|
|Ewle Primitive Methodist Chapel, Llay|
|Llay Main Presbyterian Church, Llay|
|Llay Wesleyan Methodist Church, Llay|
|Tabernacl Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Llay|
|Trinity Chapel (English/Calvinistic Methodist)|
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 333557.
The first services at Llay were held in the "Mission Hut" on 9 January 1916. The foundation stone of the new church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, was laid on Sunday, 11 November 1923, and the church was consecrated on Saturday, 21 February 1925.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" did not list any nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llay.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
- Baptisms which took place at the Mission Church before 21 February 1925 have been entered into the baptism registers for Gresford.
|1925 - 1961||1925 - 1971||None|
- There are no Bishop's Transcripts for St. Martin's, Llay.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Martin's, Llay.
The new parish of Llay was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llay are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Llay - on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llay to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llay has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
The township of Llay in the parish of Gresford in the County of Denbigh - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ332558 (Lat/Lon: 53.095206, -2.999008), Llay which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Llay Main Colliery and Llay Hall Colliery - on the Welsh Coalmines site
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Llay Main Colliery Company Ltd. Miner's lamp and pay tally pre-1947
- Prime Minister's letter to Joe Parry ; Joe Parry and Bill Partington were awarded a silver leaf for bravery in rescuing George Williams, trapped by a roof fall at Llay Main Colliery in 1952
- Llay Main Colliery Clock
- Portrait; John Henry (Jack) Hammerton was the day enginewright at Llay Main. In June 1951 his life story appeared in 'Coal' magazine.
- 1910 Drilling Core sample Llay Main Colliery
- Llay Hall Colliery [building]