"BAGLAN, a parish in the hundred of Neath, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 4 miles to the S. of Neath, its post town. It is situated in a hilly district on the coast of Swansea Bay, abounding in fine scenery. The mountain slopes are partly wooded and partly used as pasture grounds. Fire-clay is obtained in abundance, and some coal and iron. The living is a vicarage consolidated with that of Aberavon, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Baglan, and stands among fine old yew trees. This pleasant district contains a large number of gentlemen's seats, among which are Baglan Hall, seat of G. Llewellyn, Esq.; Baglan House, which belongs to the Earl of Jersey; Baglan Cottage, Greenfield Lodge, &c. There is a small ancient camp, called Mynydd Gaer, of a circular form."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018