Alltwen in the Parish of Cilybebyll


"St. John the Baptist's chapel of ease at Alltwen, erected in 1886-8, at a cost of £1500, by the late Howel Gwyn esq. is an edifice of red brick with stone facings,... an organ was provided in 1887: there are 230 sittings. At Alltwen, Rhos and Danygraig are Congregational chapels. " [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]


Church History

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the ( Welsh) extract from this book relating to Alltwen Independent Chapel (extracted by Gareth Hicks) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands

DANYGRAIG, CILYBEBYLL A LLAN-GIWG; LLANGUICKE - on the People's Collection Wales site


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is in the Benefice of Cilybebyll, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SN727034.

Anglican Parish Registers
BaptismsMarriagesBurialsBannsBishops Transcripts
No Registers have been deposited yet

Nonconformist Records held at West Glamorgan Archive Service (WGAS)

Danygraig Ind, Alltwen



Alltwen Congregational 1760-1837



Description & Travel

Alltwen - from the book The History of Pontardawe by John E Morgan [Hirfryn] 1911. Translated by Ivor Griffiths. Now included here

You can see pictures of Alltwen in the Parish of Cilybebyll which are provided by:





You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN726033 (Lat/Lon: 51.713919, -3.845463), Alltwen in the Parish of Cilybebyll which are provided by:



THE BUILDING INDUSTRY IN THE UPPER SWANSEA VALLEY AND ITS ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL RAMIFICATIONS, c.1750 ­ /1975. By R.O. Roberts and J. Elizabeth Hall. Published by Edwin Mellen Press, 2000. The book's interest here is that it concerns the local building firm of David Davies & Son of Alltwen which was founded by Henry Davies in 1875 and which had ceased trading by 1975. This is a review only of this book by Paul Reynolds - published in the Morgannwg journal, vol 45 in 2001. Now also included here