1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Cilybebyll contained the following places:
"CILYBEBYLL, a parish in the hundred of Neath, county Glamorgan, 4 miles N. of Neath. It is situated in the vale of the Tawe, near Pont-ar-Dawe Bridge, which crosses the river by one arch of 80 feet span. The Swansea canal and the Swansea Vale railway pass in the vicinity. The mountains here are clothed with wood, indicating the diminished effect of the copper works at Neath. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the coal trade, and in the neighbouring tin works of Ynispenllwch, one of the largest establishments in Wales. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandafl, value £123. The old church is a convenient edifice; at Pont-ar-Dawe is a new church. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There are several chapels for Protestant Dissenters, and a National school.
"PONT AR DAWE, a hamlet in the parish of Cilybebyll, hundred of Neath, county Glamorgan, 4 miles N. of Neath, and 8 from Swansea. It is a station on the Swansea Vale railway. The river Taws is here crossed by a one-arched bridge of 80 feet span."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018