Captain Daniel Nicholas of Ynysmeudwy



The material shown/transcribed on these pages was contributed  by Captain Daniel Nicholas' great grand daughter Eugena Hopkin of Craigcefnparc © April 2006

Daniel Nicholas' great aunt was Jemima Nicholas, the story of this lady's exploits during the 'last invasion of Britain' in 1797 at Fishguard, Pembrokeshire
can be seen on the History UK site and the  BBC Wales site.










Captain Daniel Nicholas - a synopsis of his life


Born Tresaer Farm, Mathry, Pembrokshire on 25/1/1844.

Parents: Evan and Elizabeth.    
Jemima Nicholas was his great aunt

Married Martha at Bristol while he was attending Maritime College

Moved to live in Brynsyfi Terrace,Swansea and then moved to Ynysmeudwy Ganol Farm, Pontardawe.

He then built a house called Tresaer at Ynysmeudwy, Pontardawe and eventually owned 2/3 other houses in Ynysmeudwy.

When he was home from sea Dan used to fly a flag from a flagpole at Ynysmeudwy Ganol Farm and later, after he moved home, at Tresaer ,Ynysmeudwy.

The canal bridge giving access to the farm became known to the locals as Pont Nicholas. It was built in 1795/96 and was officially named Ynysmeudwy Ganol Bridge.

His daughter Elizabeth Ann fell onto dockside from a ship while moored at Liverpool. She received fatal injuries and died a few days later.

Three of his children were born at Tresaer, Ynysmeudwy and two of them emigrated to South Africa to work in the Gold Mines.

One of them (also named Dan) married an Australian woman and had three children one of whom became a High Court Judge in Pretoria.

Another son named Cecil had the original copy of his father's diary showing his maritime career.

Evan Nicholas - Captain Nicholas' father


Evan was aged 10 when French arrived in Fishguard in 1797. Went to sea as an Apprentice when 15 years old.

Press Ganged in Cove of Cork ( now Queenstown) Put on board a 'man of war' and sailed to America at the beginning of the American War of Independence.

He assisted in taking possession of some sea ports including New York. The sailors were sent ashore to fight Washington's army.

He was wounded with two bullets in his thigh and leg. After six years at sea under Admiral Cockburn the war ended and he was liberated.

He then comanded a brig carrying emigrants to America and he carried on that trade until age 38 after which he took over his father's farm when his father died.

He had 11 children ( one girl) one of whom was Captain Nicholas.

Captain Nicholas' Siblings


Brother John joined navy before Russian War began. He was on HMS Rodney and was involved in Crimean War including Sebastopol, Balaclava.  He died on board after peace was declared.

Brother Issac drowned in Port Holland after 8 months at sea.

Brother Eben died of T.B., Samuel emigrated to Australia.

Sister Anne took over family home - Tresaer Farm, Mathry

Captain Daniel Nicholas' Dairy



vis. FROM JANUARY 1838 TO 1 SEPT. OF 1904


(This diary was typed by Irene - Helen (descendant) using the same spelling and punctuation as in the original document)

A brief account of my life.

Dan Nicholas was born at Tresare Farm Pembrokeshire in the year l844 on the 25th. January.

ANCESTORS; My farther was a boy 10 years of age when the French landed at Fishguard. The heroine Jemima Nicholas who led the women and compelled the French to surrender was my great aunt ware her toom stone is now to be seen at the church yard Fishguard in memorial.

My farther Evan Nicholas went to sea as Aprentice when about 15 years of age and when his aprenticeship had expired the ship was then at Cove of Cork which is now called Queenstown the Press Gang got hold of him the day his aprenticeship was out and he was takin on Board of Man of war ship and sailed for America as the Americans was claiming their Independence.  He assisted in taking possestion of the sea ports New York for one, then the sailors was landed and send into the bush or territory to fight Washington's army.

My farther was wounded, had recived two bulits in fleshey part of his thiy and leg and for years they kept on fighting but Washington  was to much for them. After 6 years in the navy I beleave under Admiral Cock Burn they ware, pease was proclaimed and he was liberated.

Not many years after, my farther comanded a Brig caring emigrants out to America and remained on that trade untill he was 38 years of age, when his farther died and he took possestion of the Farm, and when he was 40 years of age he got maried to a young farmer's daughter 20 years of age and they had a family of 11 children 10 boys and 1 girl of which I am the 7 from marrige.

My eldest brother John joined the navy before the Russian War comenced. He was on Her Majesty ship Rodney. He assisted in takin Balaclava, Sebastable and many other. After pease was proclaimed he died on board. My 2nd brother Isaac was drownded at  Port Holland after been 8 months at sea aprentice.  Third brother Eben died at home consumption 35 years of age. 4 Brother Samuel learned carpinter trade and emigrated to Australia about the year 1860 or 6l. He died at New Zeland in l870..   After farther death my sister Anne had possestion of farm.

Well now I am coming to my history. In April 1858 was made aprentice on the Barque Economist. For 4 years I was having £24 for the four years. There is 2 or 3 things hapened wile I was serving my time. We ware constantly on the American trades; first was I beleave for I have no dates the death of Prince Albert. After arrival at Milford from Savannah S.Coast my fellow Prentice also died on board.

The second is the taking in a cargo of coals at Llanelly, every lump lowered in a bucket to ship hold. This cargo we ware taking out to Sf. John's Newfoundland to meet the 1st. present King Edward 4th. who was then the Prince of Wales taking his first tower to America. Our coal was to supply the Men of Wars which was escorting him. Grand times at Newfoundland then.

Next hapening was the braking out of the Civil War in America or Slave War. We ware then loading timber at

Savannah S.Coast. We receaved orders to clear from port in 3 days so we just finished loading and had sailed when guns was fired at Charlestown which we could distingly hear.

I used to go up to the Slave Market at Savanah and seen them selling and buying. The buyer examined well something similar to what our cattle drovers are doing about Pontardawe.I was in the Meditranian twice, once at Al     when the Spanish fleet was there and Queen Isabella was visiting the town. I nearly rund away from my ship been tempted by some Spanish Officars to come in the Spanish navy. I could speak Spanish fluently. I was then about l6 years of age.

Well I remember the Gale of the Royal charter. A fellow Aprentice was drownded that night. Welll I secured my full Aprenticeship and was well pleased with my vocation altho' for many a nights and days during my Aprenticeship I have been lashed with ropes to the Pump and pump, pump away never a slack, did not know the minite she would sink and we burried in the great Ocion.

Then on the other hand we had gay times when the weather was fine and in ports and I felt proud of having gon through the dangers and perrils of the deep in what they now call floating coffins, at present time such ships as I served my Aprenticeship (in) wood not be allowed to leave harbour; 4 times I fell overboard once from mast. Leaky ship no lives lost at sea during my aprenticeship. We had 5 cases of smallpox on voyage from Cardiff to Cape Verde and I was put to look after and attend to them keeping flais of them in the day and rats at night. Weather been very warm ship infested with rats. Captain was a good doctor got them all through it right anough.

Well my next ship was called the Jane Ewing L      . She was a better class of ship she was built of oak and super fastning but still she made somewater pumping evry 4 hours fine weather and evry 2 hours bad weather.

We went to South America west coast Valparaiso. We made 120 days passage. We had terrable weather of (off) the Cape Horn. We ware driven about for 6 weeks before we got round the Cape.

This was the time when a Newport ship put back, from the Horn...Captain Mathias, a vision appeared to him in his cabin and told him to return with the ship to Newport and not to proceed any further or ells sumthing terrable would hapin. We discharged at Qucimbra took in ballast went up to Peru traded gua   from T      . Left and came home for few months had scurvy.

Then joined a new Brig at New Milford called Prince of Wales. Loaded railway iron for Vanus. From there went up Black Sea loaded grain at Salina for Queenstown for ordars. This was the time that Tom Seirs fough the American Champion Hernon(?). Took cargo to Great Yarmouth. I left and came to Swansea then shipped on the ship Misouri found that she was leaky backed out went to Llanelly for a few days until she would sail.

At that time 6 weeks jail was the punishment for notgoing in a ship after signing the agreement if you were caught. I went up to Briton Ferry and joined a schooner Perseverance casting took coals to Ireland port called Balemauera. There I was promoted to a mate. Remaind in her about 8 months then I joined the Brig Primrar, first iron ship built at Llanelly. Went to Montreal with coals, loded pease for Glouster. At this time Montreal was full of British soldiers as the American Frenians was threatning to  invade Canada.

Next voyage in this ship was from Cardiff to Alicant Meditranian and Pameran to Bristol. Copper ore then to Llanelly. I left and went home for for a few weeks. I then joined a ship called the  N        of Ged      on the French trade. After sailing had a heavy storm went into Mumble Roads untill finer weather came. And proceeded to Bord    France and returnd in ballast to Llanelly.

The owner was a coal merchant and a Frenchman.loaded for Q         west of Lundy Island in thick fog. Got foul of a French vessel, carried away his mast and also our own topmast, We proceeded on but ship had been very leaky...at the pump all the time.

We got into Steve's  bay and ordered 8 men had        engaged to pump untill haigh water next morning. We sailors was real fagged out. The mate was no good pritending to be sick and did not help. The water was over the forecastle struts but I slept soundly untill I heard the cable chain running over my head. I rund on deck found they had slipped the cable and running in for the pear and they ware all of them more or less drunk. They had found brandy jar in cabin and emptied it.

Captain had his wife and baby on board, When tide left the ship found the leak and sloped it. The mate left the ship and not great loss and again sailed. I was now promoted Mate again sailed for Llanelly and in due time arrived back in France. Owner now was not satisfied with Captain. Paid him off anyway he was a big rough and something ells that was bad I do not want to put such rubage down here.

Sufice to say that we had a new captain after I refused to take command. I had not sufficiant confidence in myself. I made a few more voyages and left. Then I joined the ship Humber and went to Bombay. Good discipline on board this ship. Captain was R.N.R.  Was 6 months going out, from there went to Calcutta for repairs as she had sprung a leek coming out. Cholera was very bad.

At Calcutta several of the crew died and the rest paid off and I was one man shipped on the Enturpe bound to London. This was a large iron ship at that time she would carry about 3,200 tons. Bad luck began on first movement of this vessel. Dropping down the Ganges clear of this I         chain cable hook charges and rund out to b   end all castings of windlass smashed up. Got her holed to Colle Bazari moorings below Fort William in 10 days windlass was fixed and towed down the river to sea when tug and pilot left the ship.

2nd second day out, a young man died with colera and one after the other kept dropping every other day. Then the news came that the captain was bad. Chief Mate had been laid up for days so 10pm following night the orders came all hands on deck, take in sails. It did not blow but we thought that the officers antisipated a cycalone coming. The sails was soon reduced down to storm sails then all hands was called aft to get grog.

After having our rum we ware informed that the captain was dead, for 4 of us to come into the cabin to carry his body on deck. I was one that helped to carry him. I put my two hands under the back of his head while 4 others was lifting the body. His head fell back and his eyes wide open staring one in the face. I nearly fainted. The body was warm and quite supple with heavy perspiration. The body was put upon the poop deck and covered with a sheet.

That night was the longest two hours ever I spent at ship wheel alone on the deck with corps, wind blowing the sheat, ! kept thinking that the body was moving to get up. The second mate took plenty of drink and kept off the poop. Following morning at 8 am the funeral took place, steward reading the burial prayers and the body of the strong man was comitted to the deep.

As previously stated, the Chief Mate was laid up since we left and he did not know of capt'n death. Now the ship was at the mercy of the wind as we had no navigator on board, the 2nd  mate already alluded to was no navigator. He had been promoted from bosun to fill a second mate possition. He could not read. Now the steward and him had full charge.

Steward had predicted that the Chief Mate's case was hopeless it was only a matter of time he would follow the others, but in about 10 or 12 days the Chief began to revive and becoming stronger daily with assistance to come on deck he was able to take observation and soon came to know ship's position and he grew fat and strong. Now we had 6 to 8 laid up yet with accute daiarey.

We called off Asention Island for mail and medicin and kept backing and filling for the most part of the night waiting for the new captain to come on board. He went strite to his bed and all hands, Second Mate included with exception of a nigger sailor and myself they ware all drunk and fighting.

Got ap          on one mast squ      and the nigger sailor steared t   and at brake of day I went to releave him and as I was goaing aft there was a terrable sight along the decks. Cook was laying by the 'galley door with his big toe hanging to a piece of skin in a pool of blood and sailors here and there laying down full of cutts and bruises but worsed than all our second mate was laying there at the front of poop with emptey wisky bottle by him.

This was the kind of man that we bad to trust our lives to. Things went farely well after everybody recovering we took T       of South Fr    land and made all sails fast. One of the sick men had died body was taken on shore at Gravesend. By goaing up London river we colided with ship and a barge sunk s        we done damage to extent of four thousand pounds. There ends one of the most unfortunate voyages. Owners gone bankrupt and no wonder it is enough to brake the bank of Don Carlo.

Next ship is a brig called Saladine, Medtranian trade 4 or 5 months voyage. Then went to school of Navigation and past for only Mate. Came to Cardiff to get certificate which was sent to Cardiff Custom House. I there and then joined the Sultana Renia as Mate, went to Spain and back to London with a cargo of wine. Then loaded a general cargo for West coast of Africa and loaded.

Back to London; at Gravesend took in board Custom House Officers and went up to London, St Catherine Dock. That was the time of the great Frenian scare they ware going to blow London docks warehouses up. After arrival in St.Catherine Dock it been to late to releave the Customs Officer.

The captain lived in London, had gone home and all hands had left the ship except myself and Custom Officer and we had supper togethar he asked ware I belonged to and I answered Balama iura, Ireland. He thought I said that I was an Irishman he been Irish himself and began talking about the Frenians. He said he would like to see them coming himself and hundreds more would join them, then pulling out a bundle of letters out of his pocket that he had receaved from some of the Frenian leaders.

This was the kind of men that Her Majesty had as servants. I reported it to my captain when he came on board in the morning he advised me to say nothing about it as it only causes trouble he said. I said he had enough documents about him to give him 20 years so this ended there. I left the ship and went home to see the Old People.

Then joined Barque Paragon as mate. made two voyages to Quebeck came backfall. Voyaged to Cork seen my uncle John who was living in Queenstown spent Sunday at his house he had his nice staying with him she is now maried to Mr.Cavendish something in post office. Here ship laid up for the winter at Cork and I left and went home for few weeks then I joined the Sisters and went to Lisbon and back with coper ore from Porneranto. Garston then to Dublin with rock salt then to Cardiff. I left the ship at Cardiff and joined the Viderias.

 Got married went out to Eden with coals from there to the coast of Malibar then to Rangoon had new main mast put in then loaded rice for Falmouth for orders. Arrived in June l869 was ordered to Briman Preven Germany when we arrived there the war was on between France and Germany all marks removed lights out went up without pilot or steam.

After discharging I left the ship and came to Bristol went to school passed my examination as Master. After some time at home at Bristol joined ship Courier. Made two voyages in her as mate. Last voyage we ware nearly shipwrecked in bay of Urindy on St. Mary's Island went againsed the rocks in foggy weather had her off but her bow was broken we ware loaded with general cargo mostly liquor in casks and sugar it was those casks that kept her afloat as she was half full of water eventually got her into St. John's discharged and repared loaded deels for Newport then to Bristol dry dock to have a thorrough repares and coper put on her bottom then I left her

then I shifted my residence from Bristol to Swansea then I joined the Burry as mate was in her for about two years on the Capleary Sardinia trade lead ore then I joined the Marian made a  voyage to Baltimore and back to Tyne with corn had my fourth finger cut off in her. Left her at Tyne went home to Swansea and joined the ship Vain was in her 8 months left her and took command of a new vessel called Elmira of Swansea this was l875.

 First trip was very successful Cape verde Islands off St Jago loaded at Mayo salt for Rio de Janiero. Ordered to Santos to discharge. Went up to Bayhia loaded suger for Falmouth for orders. Ordered to Holland Roterdam I lost the steward at Santos with yellow fever fine Christian young man. Came from Roterdam in ballast to Swansea well suffice to say that I was master of this ship for 9 years. Brazil trade mostly. I lost several hands each trip at Santos by yellow fever and one voyage lost all hands except self and aprentice boy this boy was on board by himself for 6 weeks when I was in hospital with the fever. I left this ship at Pernambuco and came as passenger ill. I put a young man in my place.

After been home a few months I went 2nd mate of steamer Stanmore on the tin trade Swansea to New York.

On the 2nd voyage I got ship mate and stayed in her about l4 months as I could see no chance of getting promotion I left her at Swansea and took command of the City of Asaph I took a quarter of her well I made a couple of voyages in her and the third voyage loaded coals for Port Natal S. Africa we had rather long passage to the equator and going down the coast of Brazil found that the coals was on fire so we did not pump her for 48 hours and as the fire was at the botom the water put out at least we thought so.

Everything went alright for a few weeks but as we ware getting south and having bad weather it again lighted up and as we ware rowing for Cape Good Hope it came unbearable no one could go below deck we tried all ways to keep it under but it kept growing now blowing a gale and high sea we ware steering in for Mossel Bay when in the night she blew up her hatches and fire as high as her trucks but only for a few seconds it was the accumulation of gas.

 At day light we saw a ship standing out from the land and we made clare to her and asked them to put boat out and fatch us as the ship was on fire Captain answered that their boats could not live in the sea so we hove the ship to and got our boat out with great dificulty and risk all got safely into the boat and pulled clear of the ship sea running mountains high in one hour got safely on the Barque True Blue of Port Adelaide bound to Cape Town

our vessel was nothing but smoke and fire she soon went down. In two days we arrived at Cape Town and remained there weeks. Had Board of Trade enquiry and was aquitted with honor. Then took passage to Plymouth in the Noram Castle. After been home for few months I went master of Sea Foam for one voyage returned to L.Pool with cargo cotton

then three of us Mr Hooper Mr Davies and myself bought the Barque Charlotte then lying for sale at L.pool she would carry about 640 tons we loaded for Benos Aires and home with coton to L.Pool we kept her mostly on the river Plate and Bahia Blanka trade well after running her for 7 years we sold her to a  G      firm for 200 more than we gave for her and she paid 42% during the 7 years we had her,

so she was a very profitable and lucky ship we ware detained for 4 months at Santos Brazil been a block in the port and tormandias sickness people daing like rottin sheep we came away with the mate and myself of the old hands and it was very hard to get man as they ware pretty well all dead. The aprentice was sent to hospital from the bar. Second mate also he died following day we left thus for River Plate and so glad to get away.

I then joined the Barque Masiama of Swansea at Cardiff with cargo of machinary for St. Quintin California wile laying wind bound at Penarth Roads steamer rund into us and carried her bowsprit and cut water away we towed down to Swansea and discharged som portion of the cargo and proceeded on the voyage and arrived safely after a rather long voyage of 130 days. Discharged and took in ballast went up the gulf to Guyonos  and loaded a cargo of Brazil wood channal for orders This was the year of the war between Japan and China.

We called at Falmouth and was ordered to Hamburg. On arrival I sent in my resignaytion and as I had no reply from owners I left and came home. I stopped at home for a few months and was asked by Mrs John J. Jacobs to take command of G  bridge which ship I joined at Barry took out coals to Rio de Janiero and from there to Lota

after remaining ther three weeks receaved orders by cable to proceed Victoria Puget Sound then we towed up to Mudville Hastings to load lumber for Greenock we had bow ports cutt to load spares and heavy timber we made a fare passage home.

After discharging the vessel was sold to the Italians and I left to take command of the Rollo now at Newport loading coals for Para Amizon Arrived safely at Para and discharged. Had orders to proceed to Barbados W. Indies At Barbados receaved orders to proceed to New York. Loaded at New York for Freemantle W. Australia, The second day out from Barbados the Chief Mate by the name of Mr Williams fell down after hold and was kild buried the following morning. We loaded a general cargo Y     nations

Had heavy weather after leaving New  York and receaved heavy damage to ship wheel compasses and boats skylights and all carried away got things patched up and was soon in fine weather arrived at Freemantle and  discharged and loaded Jarra wood for Hullo. Made  long passage home 130 days Then loaded coals for Port Natal came to anchor in Grimsby Roads windbound came on heavy gale of wind ship draged her anchors and broke windlass took her into dock at Grimsby overlook.

Came down and I left the ship not been in good health and went home. Another captain took command the poor fellow died on the voyage his name was Austin of Swansea.

After a while owner wrote me asking me how my health was and weather I would take in tow a dismantled ship from Grimsby to Newcastle and then to New Haven with coal so I agreed to go. As we towed to Newcastle and loaded towed again from Newcastle to New Haven and discharged coals then I was releaved by another captain and I went to Swansea to get ready to go out by the St. Lewe with l4 rigers and two carpenters to repear the ship Andorhina and bring her home.

After about six week's work got the riging set up and seased. The ship had been on fire we towed to Hopewell Cape Bay of Fundy and loaded there a cargo of deels I7 hunder standard for Manchister Canal Runover  we did a good run across for l4 days when cargo was nearly out we owners asked me would I go out to St John's Newfoundland to the S.S. Gaspperia which they had bought.

I agreed to go another captain came to releave me now this steamer was a large one passinger accommodation for 1200 people this boat had been in the I      for 40 days we got her fixed up we used up about 50 to 100 tons of sement to cover the defective parts we went to Cape Briton for bunker coal had a gale she was nearly on shore got there, filled up bunkers left for Bathurst Bay of Shilore loaded deels for Glasgow she was very tender arrived

home safe and disgorged she was sold to the Italians I left and went home.

January 1900 went passage west to look after the reparing of the Andorhina when completed towed to Barry docks to load coals for Cape Town. Two days after sailing heavy weather back stays on mizen mast carried away been back

for Swansea or Mumble Road  Andorinha got new back stays of and rigers and when puting new back stays up mizen topmast broke and came down. Following evening came into dockand yards and masts sent to Liverpool to be repared.

In April left Swansea again and made a good passage out 50 days arrived the day Mafiking was relieved laid to anchor in Table Bay 3 months before going into dock to discharge. After we got in we ware discharged in three weeks. Baden Powel came there after been releaved we then sailed for Newcastle N.S. Wales we had 40 days passage then laid 3 weeks to turn to load for Antofagasta Chile.

Made 40 days passage to Antofagasta had fare dispatch then sailed back in ballast to Sydney and put the vessel in dry dock. Cleaned and painted towed to Newcastle and loaded for Acapulco Mexico had fare passage and good dispatch at Acapulco

Then was ordered San Fransisco head for orders we had a lot of sickness on this passage when arrived at San Fransisco had l8 men laid up with malaria fever both ship and 2 mate laid up we there loaded wheat for L.Pool direct made a fare passage home 110 days we discharged at Birkinhead Dock

Then towed round to Barry dock to load for Montevideo fare passage and fare dispatch we then went to Bahia Blanca to load wheat for Sydney and Newcastle N.S. Wales.  After a long detention we sailed and arrived safely at Sydney receaved slite damage by stress of weather we had fare dispatch at Sydney we then towed to Newcastle with half the cargo arriving there safely and having fare despatch we then sailed with a load of coals for San Fransisco had long detentions in this port before discharging we then took in ballast for Portland Oregon  when off Portland Bar blowing a gale; tug not able to come out over the bar nor pilot.

We came to anchor on 2 anchors and rode the gale out but next day when gale moderated hove up 2 anchor the donky pump refusing we had to slip chain of 75 fathoms and towed in to astoria following day began towing up been New Years day we got fare dispatch loaded wheat chanel for orders we had fare passage 120 days Queenstown.

for orders

ordered on to Limerick we took trip and towed round and anchored in the Aran on to lightin the lasted parted ship went againsed the bank same tug as towed us round gave her a pull off and charged 300 for 10 minute

work got lightened and towed to Limerick dock got discharged took in ballast and towed to Port Talbot went under repares and passed survey King Edward came to Swansea to ly foundation stone of the new dock on the l8 of Sept 1904 I was releaved of command by captain Griffiths

I left to retire from the sea after 47 years plowing the ocionse. In March 23rd 1909 I again went to Antwerp to put captain Griffiths out of Andorinha and remained there to superintend the repares of her for three months when she was sold to the Frenchmen then came home and worked hard on the farm which had been neglected.



Web master's note

I apologise in advance if any words in this transcription cause offence, the original has been retained in the interests of historical accuracy.
Gareth Hicks

Ships in which Captain Daniel Nicholas sailed


These details of the ships in which Captain Daniel Nicholas' sailed were taken from his diary

(The details in brackets are the reference numbers of ships logs which are kept in the Archives Section at County Hall, Swansea, more detail is also available from these references)

  •  Vair - for 8 months
  •  Stanmore - steamer - Dan Nicholas was 2nd. Mate
  •  City of Asaph
  •  Sea Foam ( 58135)
  •  Barque Charlotte ( 26742) - owners Mr Davies & Dan Nicholas - papers in Grenwich Maritime Museum
  •  Barque Masian ( Maxima?) (56850)
  •  Rollo
  •  St Lewe
  • Elmira ( 71402)
    Date of termination of half year 15/2/18881.
    Elmira Port of Registration - Swansea.
    Port Number and date of registration : 44/1874
    Registered tonnage :224.
    Owner John Down, Swansea.
    Master : Daniel Nicholas , Swansea.
    Scale of provisions to be allowed and served out to the crew during the voyage in addition to the daily issue of Lime and Lemon Juice and Sugar as well as other antiscorbutics in any case required by law :
    Compressed or preserved vegetables, Bread, Tinned meats, Soup and Broth, Preserved potatoes
    Sugar, molasses, water. Sufficient without waste.
    The crew consists of Master and Mate and five seamen
    First Voyage :
    Date and Place of start of voyage 29/1/1881. Date of termination of last voyage 3/2/1881
    Port at which the last voyage terminated : Swansea
    Second Voyage :
    Swansea to Brazil. Commencement of voyage 23/2/1881.
    Termination of voyage 13/7/1881 at Liverpool
    Third Voyage:
    Commenced 28/2/1882 Liverpool to Swansea
  • Andorinha (99441).
    Year of return 1906.
    Duration of voyage Sept 1904 - May, June - July. July 1906 - Feb
    Andorinha ( 99441) Andorinha ( 1900/1) D/D PRO /SR/S ( 1900/1/1 - 15)
    The Andorinha c.1880
    The original ships' logs are to be seen at Swansea Archives, County Hall.
    This was a four masted barque engaged in coaling from Swansea to Australia.
    She could have been owned by Captain Nicholas himself.
    The space below main deck was for carrying coal and other cargo.
    The accommodation was in the small cabin s on the main deck or in the forecastle, the cabin in the bows.
    Behind the foremast was the galley where all meals were prepared.
    Officers lived in the stern qurters with the enclosed wheelhouse above.
    In 1906 the Andorinha was owned by Goldberg and Sons of Swansea.
    A four-masted steel barque built in 1892 by W. Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland.
    Dimensions 105,66×14,04×7,75 meters [346'8''×46'1''×25'5''] and tonnage: 3440 GRT and 3264 NRT.
    1892 September  Launched at the shipyard of W. Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland, for G.W. & W. Roberts, Liverpool.
    1899  Sold to S. Goldberg & Sons, Swansea.
    1899  Sailed from Cape Town to Newcastle, NSW, in 14 days 12 hours.
    1909  Sold to Ant. Dom. Bordes et fils, Dunquerque and was renamed Hélène.
    1919 February 22 Sunk in a collision with the Norwegian steamship Gansfjord off the coast of Virginia. Seventeen members of the crew lost their lives at the collision. The master of the ship at the time was Captain H. Maisonneuve.